free online poses reference?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

basshole

free online poses reference?

Post by basshole »

Since I can't draw things from scratch/memory, I'm having a devil of a time creating a character in ASP that looks "correct", especially in a 3/4-ish view. I could really use some poses to compare to. Is there some sort of online, free collection of humans in different poses that you guys know about? I just need something to look at, compare my character to, and make adjustments. Thanks.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I just Googled '3/4 view people' and found several good examples. The first site was even a tutorial on drawing.
Genete

Post by Genete »

See this one:
viewtopic.php?t=8453
basshole

Post by basshole »

Oops. I never tried googling 3/4 pose. . .I tried art poses, human poses, stuff like that.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Well, it's not free, but you could try Cloudstars -- I bought the bundle of four programs a a special price a while back -- it was quite useful.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
basshole

Post by basshole »

I think I got a handle on it. I found a tiny 3D naked guy, and a pic of AHHH-nold in sort of the right pose.

I realized, after I finished a hand pose, that I had drawn my character slightly turned too much toward the "camera", and that my 3/4 pose had to be a little more like a profile, so that when he walks or points or something, his movement or his arms can be pointing left or right and it doesn't look like the wrong angle compared to the body's orientation.

I've spent the last several days "turning" him. . .and it's very tough because the change is so slight, but it has to look right.

Think of the way Aqua Teen is animated, with a 3/4 or side view, and a front/back view of the characters only, instead of the dynamic animation in most series (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.) with different angles. This is what I'm going for, so my 3/4 view has to work for him walking left or right, as well as punching and kicking left or right (which would be toward his "front").

Sorry for the ramble.
rplate

Post by rplate »

Makehuman is a free program that lets you set up a human model and save to a .obj file which can then be imported into AS pro and turned to any angle desired as a reference. Or you can set your desired angle and save it from MakeHuman.

If you only have AS standard, See tutorial just below here. Or... see this tutorialhalf way down the page. It's the same one, I just moved it here for convenience.

Bob P
Last edited by rplate on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basshole

Post by basshole »

Holy crap! Thanks!
basshole

Post by basshole »

Ok, program's very cool, but I'm not sure how to make an object that ASP will recognize (yes, I have pro version).

When I try to render, it asks for a "valid rendering engine". If I simply export to a wavefront object or collada file, AS doesn't seem to like those when I import them.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Try importing into wings then exporting out.

http://www.wings3d.com/index.php

Dale
basshole

Post by basshole »

Ah. Thanks.
rplate

Post by rplate »

If you already have Daz Studio (FREE)

Here's a how to:
1. From MakeHuman export (automatic to Documents) as obj.
2. Import wavefront obj into Daz Studio, setting import to "Custom" 100%
Note; obj will be very small at bottom of screen.
3. Now, export to wavefront obj as custom 10%
4. in Anime Studio import as obj file. It should fit on the AS screen.
Note: Set your poses in MakeHuman before you export them.
What you see in MakeHuman is the pose you will import to ASP.
You can only rotate in ASP.
EDIT: For those using AS standard see this tutorial: See REPLY below

Bob P
Last edited by rplate on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rplate

Post by rplate »

rplate wrote:I moved the tutorial here as well.

A tutorial that is all based on the above download link, which I have also PUT HERE.

...........Image

For those of you that have the AS Pro version you won't need to save the files because you can simply set the "Y" rotation angle for the (group/bone) layer.
Then proceed to build your walk on the reference figure as you work your way up through the step layers.
Just make sure you put YOUR animation in YOUR OWN bone layer. My bone layer is a group layer to rotate all the step layers at the same angle.
So before you set an reference angle, highlight my bone layer.

Again thanks to Gary for making the 3D obj files that make this possible.
Bob P
And I moved this part as well:
Here's the zip file
If I save an Anime file in the Pro version with 3d obj file and open it from within the standard version the 3d obj files load as 3d obj files. If you want to put your own obj files from a 3d progam into the standard version just rename YOUR files the same as the obj files in the folder. You will not get a 3D timeline though. Nor will you be able to rotate your obj layer except as it rotates inside the animation. But then again it's only a reference for position etc.
You can't add any more obj files than are already there. However you can delete some of the files and resave the Anime file with a new name. For example , If I only want five or even two I can delete all the ones I won't need and save that Anime file with two or five. Whatever. Just remember the object files must be in the folder with the Anime file