studied animation?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rhythm_dj

studied animation?

Post by rhythm_dj »

has anyone studied animation at degree level? I would be interested in where u studied and your views on the course, and if the degree helped your career?

cheers
cribble

Post by cribble »

Yeah i'm also interested in animation courses too. I would like to know a few peoples experiences??
--Scott
cribble.net
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Sorry for the long post, but you asked for it.

First of all, learn to draw. Take classes, doodle and sketch all the time. Draw, draw, draw. It would have made things a lot easier for me. It isn't entirely crucial to be an expert, but it sure does help to know how to sketch out your ideas (even if you're doing it in the computer).

I went to the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). Twice actually. A brief history: I got my undergrad BFA in Film/Video/Animation went out got a job in Boston as an editor and multimedia creator. Work dried up a bit (and I got bored) so I went back to RIT to get my Masters in Computer Animation. You can check out some of my school animations on my website: www.galaxy12.com

RIT is a really great place for some and a really tough experience for others. It's generally focused around the idea of the filmmaker/animator as the independent. That isn't to say you won't learn skills that will make you hireable. I, as have many others, have gone out and gotten work in the film/animation industry and done very well at it.

I'm not sure how it compares to other schools, but it's a very self-motivated program. If you just do what the faculty asks of you, you'll come out with a reasonable reel. If you take what they ask of you and double it and go beyond what they show you in class, you'll do fantastic.

The students are fantastic. They're competitive in that you want to out do and show off for your fellow students, but not so competitive that you won't want to help each other out. Nothing's quite as motivating as being surrounded by other highly motivated artists. They like to complain about the lack of computer support and quality of the equipment, but I think you'll find that at most schools (and work places) :wink: . In reality, RIT has several fantastic computer labs (with great support), as well as an astounding amount of quality film/video equipment.

When I was there they were running Maya, Photoshop, After Effects, Flash, Final Cut Pro, Avid, and Pro Tools and others (you'd have to get a hold of them for an up to date list). They had film (16mm) and video (primarily miniDV, with some DVCam) equipment for all students (film and animation). They are also currently investing quite a bit into several very nice stop motion studios (which is probably what RIT is currently best at as far as animation goes, with 3d close behind).

Which brings me to the big advantage of RIT. It has a well established film school with classes that animation students are actually made to take at the same time time as animation classes. So, animation students actually get versed in film language, cinematography and script writing, in addition to the normal animation classes. You also have access to a lot of equipment at your disposal (interested in compositing your animations with live action?).

It's not with out it's flaws. The faculty ranges from very skilled and articulate to incompetant (a slim minority that they're working on replacing). Rochester isn't the most pleasant place in the winter, but now that I'm not there I find that I miss the seasons. I found that I did very well for myself in spite of the few draw backs.

I hope this helps. Send me a message if you still want to know more send me an e-mail or message and I can fill you in on more details.

-k :D
________
Yamaha r15 history
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhythm_dj

Post by rhythm_dj »

thanks kdiddy,

the drawing part doesnt worry me, studying fine art + design at Alevel and im focking ace! :D :oops: <i mean im ok, i suppose..>
the general impression im getting from animation degrees is that they can be either, great: you learn hirable skills and become a proficient animator or a right load of nackers and a waste of time.
this could depend on where its studied...which leads me to an apology to you regarding all you wrote on RIT. I should have mentioned it but i was really looking for uk universities or colleges.sorry.
still, your reply has been a help to my research into the matter.
cheers again
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

No worries!! :D It may be useful to someone in the US. And like you said it may help you decide what you're looking for and what to look out for. In particular a wide variety of courses is often a good sign of a decent animation school. Good luck!
________
Amateur tube