Animated GIFs

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

2ner

Animated GIFs

Post by 2ner »

Animated GIFs don't display on my computer at work. There are animated GIFs which work on my browser at home but on my system at work they are just single static images. I have XP pro and IE and Zone Alarm firewall. I've gone into the IE preferences that enable animation and video on web pages and I can't find anything relevant in Zone Alarm. I fear it is something Zone Alarm does automatically. Does anybody know what the problem might be?
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

zone alarm shouldnt do anything as its just a firewall, which stops suspecious incoming/outgoing data from the internet.

I doubt zonealarm would let the first frame of a gif animation thru and stop it for no reason, especially over port 80(what web browsers use) since firewalls generally let all incoming traffic thru port 80

are you viewing the gif animations using windows image viewer, because I dont think that plays gif animations...

if your definatly viewing thru your web browser , im not sure what to suggest??
perhaps you have to let it load :?
Benvindo

Post by Benvindo »

Some firewalls have a (default) option like:

"make animated images non-repeating"

...you have to uncheck this
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

Benvindo wrote:Some firewalls have a (default) option like:

"make animated images non-repeating"

...you have to uncheck this
really?! woh...:shock: why would a firewall need to do that?
2ner

Post by 2ner »

Thanks for responding guys.
The gifs are seen in the browser, particularly avatars in forums. That's what I first noticed. I then searched for gifs on the net and I would get blank pages. I have high speed here, so it's not a matter of waiting for it to load.
I can't find anything like that in ZA.
Maybe if I just gave the box a good smack!
Does anybody know a forum where a noob can find enlightenment in such high-techy matters?
2ner

Post by 2ner »

Solved it. Zone Alarm. In privacy>ad blocker>animation (disable it.) In case anyone else has the same problem.
myles

Post by myles »

On behalf of those who may run into the problem in the future, thank you for posting a solution follow-up - a nice netiquette courtesy.

Regards, Myles.