Video game - Shank, nice 2D animation

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cheyne

Video game - Shank, nice 2D animation

Post by cheyne »

Found this game on an top indie games list. Looks really cool! A beat-em up platformer. Reminds of me of Streets of Rage and platformers from the Genesis days, except with WAY sexier graphics.

There's a bit of blood to go with the action (no gore or gibs, decapitations etc., just splashes of blood), so if that isn't your style you'll want to give this a miss.

But on the upside for all, it's got a great cinematic feel to it with nice animated bits inbetween the action, and it's just a notch under "over the top" so not completely ridiculous, and great beat-em-up phone.

Also, I mainly posted it here because I thought you could do a lot of the character animation and video bits inbetween, got me excited about animating again (I have been stagnant and not motivated).

Shank
http://vimeo.com/6775991 (Warning: NSFW, blood, violence)
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

The graphics are great. But I got bored with all the slashing halfway through. The company should seek a more creative outlet for these resources, IMHO.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
cheyne

Post by cheyne »

I agree about the slashing getting, boring, I downloaded the demo and was a tad repetitive.

But for a $10 game it's OK :-)

I totally agree about putting their talents and energies into other avenues. I read an interview about the game developers and they used "traditional" animators, instead of video game animators for the project - obviously it shows (not saying video game animators can't animate, just I figure there'd be more 3D artists these days).