Titles and intros?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Artpen

Titles and intros?

Post by Artpen »

Just a noob question, what software do users use to create cool looking titles? Anime studio, gimp, any others, and why?

I'm just interested because I have seen some cool title intros and it got me thinking what
Software they used, anime studio, gimp, photoshop, or just using the title presets from a
Editing suite?
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I generally use the titling facilities in my video edito, Sony Vegas Home Studio, or Adobe Premiere. If I want something really fancy, I'll typically use Adobe AfterEffects.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

do you mean just plain text titles? Premiere has perfectly good text facilities plus crawl / roll plus you can easily add the "Star Wars" perspective distortion (or any other visual effect) ... Or photoshop to do the text... And/or use premiere to pan/zoom around the text ... Then, if you want to get more creative, then use the text as a matte (mask) and have video "in" the letters.

or use AS text to create the letters - they're just vector graphics that you can play with as you wish...

Or do you mean title sequences such as from "the Pink Panther" with full on animation... when I'd use AS to do the bulk of the work and premiere to composite...

IMO titling is as much of an art form as "content"!
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

That's interesting, thanks, I was asking about this really because I have not got Premier, or
Vegas, only magix editor.

The title tools are limited in the version I have, so I just wanted to know if AS text animation was used a lot, or if its any good.

Thanks again
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

no expertise in magix - so sorry but can't comment.

the lettering in this was all done in AS (but composited in premiere) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqlWxMCzETg.

the text is a switch layer (smooth interpolate) with vector layers for "jumbled" text and each actual caption. jumble - caption1 - jumble - caption2 etc .. (15 sec animated sequence to save render time / file size. used "hold frame" to freeze on a caption for as long as the action needed)

Also if you're on Pro then take a look at Scripts / other / credits

But, like I said, AS text is just shapes in a vector layer, so you can do whatever you want with it ... scale, spin, zoom, perspective, use as mask, fancy animated fills .... letter by letter or line by line or screen by screen or .... IMO thus way way more powerful than the text titling stuff that comes with the likes of premiere ... but, that said, there are plenty of times when "plain text" is all you need - when the effort of using AS text is probably higher than another way... but if AS is all you have then that's what you use - it'll do it! :D
Rhoel

Credit Rollers

Post by Rhoel »

Recently I had to do a big credit roller - I built the list in InDesign to get the pagination just right. Once all the changes (and there were a lot) were complete, I output the credit list in EPS format to PhotoShop and converted to a 300 dpi transparent PNG.

Then I had the option of using ASP or Combustion to roll the image - I used Combustion as I could render in interlace.

The big advantage of using InDesign was the fact the lettering had just four paragraph styles: I could build the list imported from Word, coding them with a style using any old font. This allowed the director to change the style later (which he did, twice). By changing only the style font, all the justification stayed the same.

The four styles were:
Job category (like headings for Animation, Sound Effects and Foley, etc). This was centered with an underline
name_centered
name_left
name_right

That was all that was needed to give a nice feature film credit look, the all the names aligned around a center-line.

It might seem long-winded but in reality, it made the whole process very quick and flexible - I'll do it again this way.

Rhoel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi Rhoel. you can do pagination, tabulation and styles in MS Word (I have 2007) - which exports PDF (with transparent b/g) - which imports to Photoshop - so unless you need styles etc that Word doesn't support, this cuts out the inDesign step! (or if you don't need alpha, and/or can chromakey then MS PPT does all of that and exports directly to PNG) :D
Rhoel

Post by Rhoel »

hayasidist wrote:Hi Rhoel. you can do pagination, tabulation and styles in MS Word (I have 2007) - which exports PDF (with transparent b/g) - which imports to Photoshop - so unless you need styles etc that Word doesn't support, this cuts out the inDesign step! (or if you don't need alpha, and/or can chromakey then MS PPT does all of that and exports directly to PNG) :D
Yes, but I am a Luddite when it comes to Micro$oft products - I hate Word with a vengeance and PowerPoint is little more than a toy ... Word and PowerPoint icon driven menus approach make them very slow. InDesign I know very well... I do all my PowerPoint type presentations with it.

As I said, InDesign just has an edge in that it has excellent layout tools and style controls - I haven't tried adding icons to a roller as yet so not sure how the EPS might handle it. Should work.

Rhoel
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

Thanks all, going to give AS text scripts a whirl until I get a decent editor.

Cheers, Artpen