SPAM

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

sbtamu

SPAM

Post by sbtamu »

I only speak for my self but the spam on this forum is almost 50% of the post now. Smith Micro is a company with huge resources, and even on nasdaq. Why can't they toss in a few bucks and update the forum to match current practices other modern forums use.

It is almost laughable at the way spam is only dealt with after the fact it has been posted.

Please don't flame me, but I am so sick and tired of hitting links thinking I am going to see something that someone needed help with.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

totally agree with you! and it's even more important now that this forum (not to mention the world at large) has lost one of the best "moderator-bots" to use his own words...
Rhoel wrote:Hello, I'm a moderator bot, replying to spam-follow-up-spam-bots :D
actually -- how many of the mods are still active??? I think heyvern and Tori have dropped off the scene...
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

I've all but given up visiting the site as I'm sick of the noise.(i know I generate my own kind of noise)

I'll keep popping back if I need some help but seriously.. its not hard to manage this stuff. Start with the simple things..
* captcha
* double posts
* velocity of posts for low count posters.
* removing users that spam.. dont just move their posts.
* remove links in posts to new users.
* add rel="nofollow" to all links to stop them gaining reputation
* not to mention word frequency.
* heck.. ban anyone that usernames end in 01,02 or 03
make it less simple to automate spam. Then have the humans clean up the rest.

loads of phpBB plugins to do this stuff. It shows a total lack of investment to me.

anyway.. back to my cave. Nice seeing you all.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
hothead

Post by hothead »

SvenFoster wrote:I've all but given up visiting the site as I'm sick of the noise.(i know I generate my own kind of noise)

I'll keep popping back if I need some help but seriously.. its not hard to manage this stuff. Start with the simple things..
* captcha
* double posts
* velocity of posts for low count posters.
* removing users that spam.. dont just move their posts.
* remove links in posts to new users.
* add rel="nofollow" to all links to stop them gaining reputation
* not to mention word frequency.
* heck.. ban anyone that usernames end in 01,02 or 03
make it less simple to automate spam. Then have the humans clean up the rest.

loads of phpBB plugins to do this stuff. It shows a total lack of investment to me.

anyway.. back to my cave. Nice seeing you all.

i dont agree to this sm need to update there anti spam this is not mk 50 post site or one post per day. if so no one will feel free to ask a dumass question like what is anime studio?

i am looking for heyvern too.
what i want to know how they are moderator an SM dont if they are dead or alive or got fire
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I've complained about spam on various occasions in the past, and no-one has ever taken a blind bit of notice. Like SvenFoster says, this ain't rocket science...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modif ... ti-spam-9/

course the lowest supported version is 3.* and looks like we are running on 2.*
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Spam free.

hothead

Post by hothead »

synthsin75 wrote:Spam free.

yes its spam free but not user friendly like this post i do would get deleted because i have no capitalization nor punctuation in this sentence or if i post two time in a row before someone else reply they delete it
lostmarble.com/forum is the best forum and only forum in the world

because i disagree the moderator would take it personal and delete this post
lostmarble.com/forum is a public forum not private like other so people fell free to agree and disagree here an post all your stupid question i remember once when slowtiger and heyvern say i can ask any question i want as they use to ask the same stupid dumass question too when they first start using anime studio like how to use to select tool. everything would get delete an next forum they would say i am spamming there site poor me :cry: :cry: :cry:
i will always say what is on my mind i dont carry would like it are not i am just hothead
heres a dumass question with a professional answer viewtopic.php?t=21254 i ak question like this two yeas ago
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

I am about done with SM and this web site. Smith Micro should not ask or expect volunteer moderators to police this site of spam.

Smith Micro is a http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/smsi company, I think it is high time they started acting like it.

For them to fudge the upgrade to 8.2 for this may days just adds to their incompetence.

I guess I am just over acting but nothing pisses me off more than a none reactive company to address issues that could be fixed with a few dollars.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

I don't think these are spam bots that are hitting the forums, they're poor Chinese or Indian people who are paid a fraction of a cent for each link they post. When there's a human being involved, it's a lot harder to detect automatically. Some legitimate posts on here look like spam.

Rhoel clearly did more than any one realised in keeping this place clean.

As or the 8.2 problem, they already said it was a problem with Fastspring (who I think are like a Paypal thing). SM have no control over a third party, and even if they are NASDAQ listed, that doesn't mean they should build an entire paypal infrastructure just in case they get let down once.

In fact, one of the things that makes this forum good is that it IS community run. That's why it isn't a ghost town like the Toon Boom forums.

There's more to like on this forum than there is to hate. Have faith, normal service will be resumed.
Theo22

Post by Theo22 »

JaMike wrote:I don't think these are spam bots that are hitting the forums, they're poor Chinese or Indian people who are paid a fraction of a cent for each link they post. When there's a human being involved, it's a lot harder to detect automatically. Some legitimate posts on here look like spam.

Rhoel clearly did more than any one realised in keeping this place clean.

As or the 8.2 problem, they already said it was a problem with Fastspring (who I think are like a Paypal thing). SM have no control over a third party, and even if they are NASDAQ listed, that doesn't mean they should build an entire paypal infrastructure just in case they get let down once.

In fact, one of the things that makes this forum good is that it IS community run. That's why it isn't a ghost town like the Toon Boom forums.

There's more to like on this forum than there is to hate. Have faith, normal service will be resumed.

In another topic I offered to help to the moderators to keep this forum free of spam. I did not yet receive any reaction, but the offer still stands...
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

Theo22 wrote:In another topic I offered to help to the moderators to keep this forum free of spam. I did not yet receive any reaction, but the offer still stands...
That's probably because you are new. Most moderators have been active members for a long time.
Theo22

Post by Theo22 »

JaMike wrote:
Theo22 wrote:In another topic I offered to help to the moderators to keep this forum free of spam. I did not yet receive any reaction, but the offer still stands...
That's probably because you are new. Most moderators have been active members for a long time.

I would expect that new users would qualify for a reply from the moderators as much as old users do, don't you agree?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Today (4th March) spam coverage is around 75%. I'm sick of this.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

Simple web tools keep robo spammers off other forums. Why not here?
Smith Micro is ether too cheap or lazy; or both.

Dale