Interesting Programming Interaction Concepts

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rai López

Interesting Programming Interaction Concepts

Post by Rai López »

Well, I just watch this and I simply felt marveled about some of the concepts (if not all of them) exposed on it... The part concerning animation, BTW, is about minute 29 but, sincerely, I think that first visual part concerning programming/gaming (even electronics!) interaction is where the more impressive things are. The curious thing, is all the proposals are so logical and "simple" that one feel they should be among us from long time ago, but well, it's the damn future again... Unfortunately, the last speech part it was little beyond of my English skills, but I'd bet it worths too.

Greetings,
Ramón López.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hey Ramon - finally found time to watch it. Thanks for sharing!

The immediacy of being able to see what the code produces is certainly impressive.

Here's a (condensed) transcript of the last bit - which is more of a philospohical justification for "sticking to ypur principles" http://instanceof.me/post/18455380137/i ... ret-victor

and a longer discussion of the whole talk http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3470417
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

So basically he thinks he's invented something that good game level editors and live mouse motion grabbing have been doing for years. And he thinks that programmers are as important to society as civil rights activists. :shock:

I guess that's impressive to an audience of programmers who've never been outside their parents' basements.

I can sum up that whole talk in 4 words: Realtime feedback is good.

If he ever looks at modern animation software, he'll think he's travelled in time to a utopian future. :lol:
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

:D which is more or less what was said in the "longer discussion" on somethingawful.com (the clue is is the url!) to which I referred - I guess I was just too polite to come right out with it! :roll:
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

Hey, finally there was some replies! Well, nothing really interesting to add for my part. I gave a quick reading to that discussion (thanks for the link!) and, as usually, there are several POV about different aspects, each one with it's own reasoning... errrm, well I promised not be interesting :roll:

Anyway I still think that some programming tasks will be much more enjoyable with this kind of introductions, which can seem very simple in the concept ["Realtime feedback is good"], I agree... but not for that less important. Plus, having tested several code editors (which was the interesting part to me here) I've never seen advances like that in anyone of them and it's good to see how some people try to go a little further, even if they are not reinventing the wheel and simply translating concepts from one camp to another, it doesn't matter too much if it's finally useful and provides some kind of coolness in its new context.

Another issue here would be how the developer exposes it's work, what I think could caused some people reacted quite on the defensive (or that was my impression), but... I think that's not the important point to me.

Well, thanks for reading!
Ramón López.