Monty Python cutout material?

Whatever...

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Artpen

Monty Python cutout material?

Post by Artpen »

Hello, I'm going to be making a terry gilliam style animation with anime studio, so I just needs some hints, tips, and information on where I can pick up free vintage photos and material that I could use, and where to get it.

Also, your thoughts on this style, how you would do it, backgrounds? scanned in?, bitmap drawings into anime studio, anything....

Lastly, this question I would like to know if anybody knows it is, did Terry Gilliam need copyright for using those photos????
Or can you use anything like this if it is edited in a funny way, coloured, parodied???
I think the Monty Python style was a topic on this forum before?
Anyhow, your thoughts and information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Artpen
jahnocli

Re: Monty Python cutout material?

Post by jahnocli »

Generally, these illustrations were from the Victorian era, so any copyright has long since expired. I guess it depends on whether anybody has acquired the image rights since then? (Don't know all the legal ins and outs). However, this seems unlikely, as many of these illustrations were used in advertisements for products that have long since expired. Just watch out for images like the steel engraving for the Millais painting, "Bubbles", which maybe is still used by Pears soap company (a survivor from those times). Good luck - I loved those Terry Gilliam animations!
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Terry Gilliam demonstrated how he created his animations in this episode of a TV series from the 70's. I loved this series as a kid!

Gilliam appears about 3 mins 30 seconds in..
This is Part 2. Part 3 is on YouTube also.

drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Ha! That was awesome Amiga.

Here's a video from a website a lot of musician's use. Basically author/creator retains rights for their life + 70 years. But there's different categories of fair use. I saw a great video, that I can't find anywhere now, it was a film student explaining how she had to cut out a critical scene in her movie because someone walked through the background wearing a T-shirt with a logo she wasn't allowed to use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHTVI0MD ... e=youtu.be

If you're uploading to Youtube I wouldn't monetize it if you're not sure. I'm using some Pink Floyd music on a video and they just put a "Matched 3rd Party Content" tag on it.

I've imported images into AS and I think it does a good job. It works best when I use larger PNG files and scale them down a little.
Adam
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

AS is really great for cutout style animation and handles images very well. Some years ago I experimented with woodcuts:
http://slowtiger.de/examples/car2a.mov
http://slowtiger.de/examples/biker2.html
http://slowtiger.de/examples/biker3.html
All images are black and white and were tinted in AS (solid colour shape, layer set to multiply).

Image sources: You're safe with nearly anything published before 1850. Copyright laws differ from country to country, but so far I haven't heard of any claim against collages by Max Ernst, John Heartfield, "Frank Film" and the like, nor against anything by Terry Gilliam. There's an unspoken rule of thumb here: the older and less prominent an image is, and the smaller its part in your finished work, the more unlikely it is that anybody claims copyright there.

Where to find? Dover Publications carry a broad range of books with woodcuts sorted by theme, of which I own a dozen. I also rooted through images in Gutenberg Project, most prominent the old Issues of Scientific American because I like woodcut illustrations of old machinery. There are many very good galleries on flickr by people who scan or photograph old artwork from everywhere. Museums sometimes put parts of their photographic collections online, some even in useable resolution. In those cases have a look at the licences, and ask for permission if necessary. In most cases they're more than happy that somebody does something useful with their stuff.

Be careful. Have a look at this: http://pinterest.com/pin/112027109450319435/. This is an old photography, sold on postcards and so on. In Wikimedia (another good source, as well as Library of Congress) it is marked as Public Domain, which, if true, always means anybody may use it. But the very same image shows up in stock photo collections by commercial resellers who claim copyright on it! Always use Google's reverse image search (works in Firefox and Chrome) to find out more about a specific image when in doubt (and to find higher resolution files). Avoid using any image with a watermark in it.
Artpen

Post by Artpen »

Thankyou everyone, very interesting information there, very handy thankyou.

I'm having a go so keep a watch on my channel.

Artpen