Sluggish on osx

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

genieworx

Sluggish on osx

Post by genieworx »

we have started using moho a few weeks back and its very sluggish on our os x.. Still this the best...just very frustrating sometimes... here are some of stuff that we came across..

1) It would be great if the select and transform tool can be be toggled with just the press of one key and than reverts back to, lets say the select key automatically.. its hard to change these two tools even with the shortcut all the time..specially when doing lot of editing
2) Navigating the timeline is hard. Sometimes when we zoom in the time line jumps to frame 0 instead of zooming in on the playhead.
3) It would be great if the shortcut keys were the same as other popular softwares we use. Specially the video and effects ones..
4) I could not find a short cut for ZOOM and PAN which is like two of the most used tool in computer drawing. One great feature we saw was hittin esc key twice zoomed it right in to the object selected.. this is fantastic..
5) The onion skin option is great but we keep hittin on the onion skin bar while trying to navigate the timeline. its frustrating specially if the timeline is zoomed out and we have to zoom in to disable the onion skin on that frame. But the way we can onion skin anyframe so easily is awsome. Maybe a button to shy the onion skin or reset all.
6) speaking of reset. We were unable to find a way to automatically delete all the keyframes we placed for a each layer.
7) We might be wrong here but is there an animatin preview we can do. when we do a preview we only see one single frame. It would be great if we can do a very low resolution movie preview to check the motion. even if it does render it to the disk. Just having to render at a low resolution and going and playing is too many clicks
8) Is there a way to get a paint bucket instead of clickin the elements and than going to the pallet windows. This is ok when we work on few elements but a lot of clicking when there is a lot. It is fantastic that we are able to store presets.
9) Instead of showing the layers as a thin line it would be great if you can have a slighty wider line. easier to handle. (we dont work on large dual monitors :))
10) It will also be great if we can color code the elements in the Bin so that navigation is easier.

Anyways these are just our few thoughts on moho..w we have used it only for a few weeks so we might be completely wrong on this..if anyone has a solution for those stuff please let us know.. this is the best 2d character animation prog we have used. Fantastic...
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Answers to some of your questions:

4) If you drag in the editing view with the right mouse button, you can pan the view. If you hold down the shift key while right-dragging, you can zoom. Also, you can spin the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out. On a Mac, you can either buy a two-button mouse to do all that, or hold down the Ctrl key to simulate a right click.

5) In the timeline is an "Onionskins" popup box. Click that and you'll see a button to clear all the onionskin frames.

6) See the Animation->Clear Animation From Layer menu command.

7) Animation preview: we actually just released an update last night that includes an animation preview feature. You can find out more, including where to download the update here:

http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1068

9) Do you mean the layers listed in the Layers window? Are they too think for you to click on easily?
genieworx

great

Post by genieworx »

this is great.. thanks a lot for the quick answers....
and yeah the line on the time line is a bit too thin for me.. this might not make much of a difference.. maybe this is because
we work on after effects with expanding menus on the timeline..so the moho timeline setup and the way it treat layers is different..
but thanks again.. will check the new update..
genieworx

one mo thing

Post by genieworx »

We think the interpolation in the switch layer is great.
wondering if there is a way to enable morphing with unequal number of nodes? or if there is a quick way to count the number of nodes?

thanks
myles

Re: Sluggish on osx

Post by myles »

genieworx wrote:1) It would be great if the select and transform tool can be be toggled with just the press of one key
Check out Brian(7feet)'s modified tools, thanks to Lost Marble including Lua scripting in Moho 5.
In particular, his new and improved point translation tool, which includes deselection and lasso selection, and his Universal Point tool, which adds key modifers for even more pointy manipulation.
I have a very simple modification of Lost Marble's translate points tool, allowing Alt+left-mouse-button to toggle the selection of individual points.

Regards, Myles.
Last edited by myles on Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
genieworx

Post by genieworx »

thanks a lot myles.. these are great
myles

Re: Sluggish on osx

Post by myles »

genieworx wrote:3) It would be great if the shortcut keys were the same as other popular softwares we use. Specially the video and effects ones..
You can make limited changes to the shortcut keys by editing the _tool_list.txt file in the tool subfolder of the scripts folder.

Back up a copy of the original file first, just in case.

For a list of the current keystrokes, see http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~myle ... o_keys.txt

Of course, after you've used Moho for a while, you may want to change your other software shortcuts to match the Moho ones. :D

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
genieworx

:)

Post by genieworx »

thanks.. these really helps..
and yes maybe :)
Yooperville

5.09/OS X Sluggishness ...

Post by Yooperville »

Getting back to Moho 5 after long lay-off. Notice two things much slower than in v4.6:

1) Add Points tool has significant lag.
2) Entering text/numbers crawls at painful pace.

OS X 10.2.8, 733 MHz G4 Quicksilver, just over 1 Gb RAM. Would be happy to do a couple quick captures to illustrate if that would be helpful.

Is this better on 10.3? Only Moho could force me to upgrade :D ....

Thanks -- Greg.
Timo

Poor Performance

Post by Timo »

I love me some Moho I have used it on the PC and really enjoyed it. I prefer to work on a Mac however and Moho's performance is so poor I can barely use it. Everything is slow, from the Add Point tool to menus to bone strength, pretty much anything. Basically its huge amounts of lag on anything even simple tasks like adding layers.

My system is fine, Flash MX 2004 Pro runs like a champ on it as does anything else I run.

G4 450
384 Ram
OS 10.3.8

Yeah, its old, but its well within range of Moho's specs. :)

Anyone had any luck with improving performance?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

OK, I've got some good news. We tracked down some problems on the Mac version of Moho and I've got an update. Below is a link to an updated Moho application that all Mac users are welcome (and encouraged) to download - just replace your old Moho application with this one.

This update fixes a couple things: first, responsiveness is greatly improved. Moho should not lag anymore when you try to add a point, or other common tasks. Second, we fixed a crashing bug with rendering. Moho wouldn't always crash when you render a frame, but sometimes it would, or would corrupt its memory leading to a crash later on.

This isn't an "official" update - we first want to hear from Mac users if it improves Moho on their systems. If you still experience crashes or slowdowns with this version, please let us know.

Here's the download:

http://www.lostmarble.com/downloads/moho_mac_update.zip
stephen

Post by stephen »

I guess now I need someone with Mac knowledge to help me.

I moved the old moho application to the trash bin.
I moved the new moho aplication to its aplication folder.

Now when I double click on a moho file I get an error. They seem to have lost their association to the moho application.
When I bring up the info on a file, I can set it individually to "open with" moho. That works. But if I press the button "change all" to make all .moho files to open with moho, it just changes the "open with" field to <none>, and now none of them open with moho.

Stephen
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

This is what I do when I update moho. Without moving the old moho app to the thrash, I move the update into the moho folder window, then the computer asks if I want the old app replaced to which I answer yes. It does the trick. hope it helps!
stephen

Post by stephen »

Being the cautious sort, I moved it to the trash so I could restore it if the new version had problems. I'm in the middle of something important, I did not want to risk going from something that works most of the time to something that doesnt work and not be able to back out of it.

Stephen
Yooperville

Thanks!

Post by Yooperville »

LM -- Thanks for the update! Much appreciated. Will test this weekend.

Stephen -- Wish I could help, but have never had that happen before :( . By no means an expert, but I think the general rule of thumb on this type of update is remove app, delete Preference file(s), install, repair Disk Permissions. 10.2+ should update prebinding automatically. You should always archive the old version in some way so you can restore if things go South. None of that helps you with your problem though.

All I can suggest is this:

http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

Gives you complete control, but you have to use it with caution, and if you're not comfortable with the concepts, it's probably best not to use it at all. Posting on/searching a Mac help forum is probably your best option.

Sorry -- Greg.