Exporting an animation to flash that has a 3D object

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

lundon

Exporting an animation to flash that has a 3D object

Post by lundon »

I imported an OBJ file, made a simple animation and successfully exported it as a Quicktime movie. However when I tried exporting using the flash format, the 3d object did not show up in the animation. Is this another inherent problem with Flash?

Don
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

Put up the file somewhere, so LM can see.

It's the best way to tell really.

But i'd say yes :p
Fear Me Mortals
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

I was assuming that 3D objects wouldn't be supported in Flash. It's a completely different ballgame creating 3D with Flash than with DirectX or OpenGL. Then again, Swift somehow manages it---though, probably only with simply coloured surfaces rather than with texture images. But I'm not sure.

If 3D isn't supported for Flash yet, then what you could possibly do is create a movie file of that object (with an alpha layer) and export everything else to Flash. Then reintroduce the 3D object movie--which of course would have to be done in Flash. ...Could get tricky, but depending on the object that just might be a way to do it for now.
lundon

Post by lundon »

Thanks, Barliesque

Right now I'm just trying to get the ground rules of what can be done and what can't.

Don
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

Actually, if 3D export to Flash isn't supported, then maybe it's doable for Moho to handle it in this way automatically... by creating the 3D stuff as a video layer for the Flash output. ...It's an idea. :roll:
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Perhaps another option would be to internally pre-render the 3D object layer down to an image layer (an image with transparency) and then proceed normally. The Image export for Flash seems to work just fine. If new images were only generated when the view of the 3D object changed (from camera or layer moves) then the files sizes might not get too unmanagable. I would think it would also be easier to tweak in flash if it was individual images as opposed to a video layer, but I could be wrong there. Just trying to think of something that wouldn't be too tricky for LM to implement.

--Brian
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

Still image files can quickly add up. Unfortunately, the compression of JPEG still images, for instance, can't really compare with video compression which compares each frame with the previous one to see how much of the image really changed.

Ideally, when an object isn't moving, it should be a still image, or when it is moving, a video sequence. That could work quite well.