Problem with Layer scale

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

JCook

Problem with Layer scale

Post by JCook »

I have a problem with layer scaling. I'm using a bunch of images to animate, and I'm dissolving between them using layer opacity. The images are similar and must line up and register with each other. And they are larger than the size of the animation window. I've put each of them on an Image layer, and then used Layer Scale and Layer Position to line them up, all at frame 0. It works fine. But when I put in the keyframes for layer opacity to dissolve between them, the layer scale changes. They become way too large, but the numbers in the layer scale boxes remain the same. I'm not animating the layer scale at all, and I scaled them on frame 0. Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

thanks,
Jack
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

Well, I am not sure what is causing your images to resize again.

Just did a little test here with 3 images on separate layers, fading
each other in and out, and using Layer-Scale, -Move and –Rotation as well.
Works all fine.

Have you tried to resize your images at frame 1, would that make a difference ?
I presume you didn’t accidentally create a few scale –key-frames somewhere ?

Cheers
Nolan
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I just found out about that darn "Z" axis layer translate thingy.

So if you translate a layer on the Z axis it looks like scaling but it isn't. You may want to check that layer attribute for a key frame.

This is a just a shot in the dark but it burned me once so I thought I would mention it.

-Vern
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks guys. I looked for layer scale key frames but didnt' find any. I may have had the layer scale tool active when I was doing this but I wasn't using it. It's possible I may have done something inadvertantly, but as I said, I didn't find any key frames. Also, I looked for keyframes for the Z translate tool, but again, none.

The way it happened, was that everything was sized correctly on frame 0 (then saved), and all layers but the first were set to 0 opacity. At intervals I would set a keyframe at, say 10 seconds for a layer to be 0 opacity (so it wouldn't start being visible until that time) and then 2 seconds later a key frame for 100% opacity, giving each layer a 2 second fade in. It was when I set that 100% opacity keyframe that the size of the layer jumped, but not all the way to its original size, but way to big for the animation. I had to then go to frame 0 and reset the layer scale for that layer, save it, and then it was allright. But I went through this process for almost all the layers. It worked, but it was a pain. I think it's some kind of a bug, but I'm not totally sure. Anyway, I got the job done and rendered, so I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

thanks,
Jack
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

It sounds to me like there must be a keyframe in there.

Are you certain all the channels are visible? In the timeline if you click on settings you can turn them on and off... if a channel is off its key frame won't show in the time line... got burned by that one too.

Anyway... I tried and tried and couldn't replicate this.

Another thing... if you key the opacity of a layer at frame 0 to 0% and later in the animation key the opacity to 100%... frame 1 will not start at 0%. So... I tend to key stuff like that on frame 1 just to be safe.

Check for a camera zoom key frame! I do this all the time. Move the camera view in the middle of the animation and I can't figure out why everything is scaling up or down. That channel is waaaaaay at the bottom of the timeline so you don't always see it.

Glad it worked out for you though.

-Vern
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks Vern,

I've looked all over for a rogue keyframe and haven't been able to find one. Yesterday I was working on this, and I happened to have the Layer Origin tool selected and I inadvertantly clicked somewhere unknowingly, and changed the origin of one layer. When I rendered a test, where that layer should have come in it was just the black background I had set. So I zoomed way out and found that I had moved that layer way out of the picture and didnt' even know it. So I think maybe I did something like that with the other layers by mistake with the Layer Scale tool to cause this weird problem, but I can't find the evidence of it, so to speak. Since Moho sets keys automatically starting at frame 1 I guess one needs to be EXTREMELY careful about what one does when certain tools are active. Thanks for you help.

Jack
cuebit

layer scale problem

Post by cuebit »

Hi all,

I think the problem has to do with the different dimensions of multiple projects.
For example, if you make a moho file of a head, you place several different head images into a switch file right?
Lets assume the dimensions of that project is 320*240 when you save it.

When you try to import that moho file into another project, the dimensions of that project must be also 320*240.
The images don't scale aymore when you select them.
If the project sizes are different, the scaling occurs in irregular ways

hope this helps

regards,

Maarten
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

cuebit,

That problem would only occur if he was importing moho files. There is no mention of importing moho files. Also it wouldn't create a "keyframe".

He was importing images and changing opacity and postition.

-------

You can always scale a layer. Even if an imported moho project was a different resolution. Also images "changing size" or "scaling" when you change the resolution of the project is correct. An image is based on pixels per inch... just like the resolution of the moho project. If the project "gets bigger" the image "gets smaller".

Scaling occuring in "irregular ways" is most likely due to the layer origin point.

Any layer scales based on the setting of the origin point so if that gets moved or you import a moho project... it may appear "different". Just check where your layer origin point is before scaling the layer.

Also if you have imported another moho project with image layers inside a group folder... and the group folder is scaled differntly than the image layer... this could cause the appearence of "irregular scaling".

Another issue is that the origin point of a layer can not be animated. If you change the origin point of a layer that has been scaled or moved at some point later in the timeline you can effect its position. Motion, rotation and scaling of layers are based on the origin point.

-Vern