Moho 5 and Flash

(This forum has been closed. Please use the General Moho Discussion forum.)

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, slowtiger

Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

I was just wondering whether my suggestion above was at all helpful. I'd hate to have induced one of those talked-about Flash rages. On a more positive note, I wanted to add that Moho 5 looks really superb. The interface is so much more attractive. And it's a major accomplishment to have come this far with the Flash export. I just think for it to be truly useful for web applications, the filesizes need to be brought down further.

All the best, and keep up the excellent work! :D
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

It's an interesting idea, but variable-width lines are more complex than a collection of different-sized triangles. Each curve segment has its own curvature - reducing it to a triangle would leave you with a segmented, blocky-looking curve.

For a highly detailed curve with lots of close-together points, triangles might be an OK approximation, but you'd still be better off just using a simpler line with fewer control points.

To bring down the filesize, there are a couple things you can do right now: import the Moho-created SWF file into Flash - when you save it out again, it will be quite a bit smaller. Or, use Optimaze, a Flash optimizing program:

http://www.vecta3d.com/

Here's a review of Optimaze if you want to know more:

http://www.flashmagazine.com/html/610.htm
Armaani

Post by Armaani »

I must say, at first I wasn't going to upgrade to Moho 5 because I was disappointed by 4.6's Flash support and the community's seeming hostility to the Flash platform. But, after reading all the cool ways in which Moho 5 improves Flash output, I'll definitely be upgrading once the OSX version is released. I especially applaud the improvements to line export in general, and support for exporting variable-width lines.

I have a question regarding optimized layers: how do they work? Does Moho make the layer into a symbol, and then reuse the symbol as the layer moves? I'm just curious.

Also, it might be a good idea to include in the manual a Flash section that explains what will and will not export, how to optimize animations for Flash, etc.

Thanks for listening!
Courtesy of: Your Friendly Neighbourhood Armaani
Independent Storyteller, Humourist, Absurdist, and All-’Round Nice Guy
http://armaankhan.blogspot.com
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Armaani wrote:I have a question regarding optimized layers: how do they work? Does Moho make the layer into a symbol, and then reuse the symbol as the layer moves? I'm just curious.
Yes, that's how it works.
Armaani wrote:Also, it might be a good idea to include in the manual a Flash section that explains what will and will not export, how to optimize animations for Flash, etc.
We do plan to include this in the manual - tips for how to best optimize Flash files, and what can and can't be exported to Flash.
Barliesque

Post by Barliesque »

It's an interesting idea, but variable-width lines are more complex than a collection of different-sized triangles.
Agreed. But I'm not suggesting reducing all of the various shapes produced down to basic triangles. If you check out the specific symbols I mentioned above, you'll see that these are very nearly triangles just as they are. What I'm suggesting is that these nearly basic shapes be recognised and reduced, while anything that's too complex stays just as it is. If just those shapes that are almost triangles are reduced, then I think there would be a significant reduction in the number of symbols, and in the filesize.

Optimaze certainly looks interesting--though their site doesn't seem to want to load up just now. I'll certainly check it out.

Anyway, thanks for engaging in the dialog. :) Even if it turns out to be a dead-end, I think it's an idea worth examining closely.
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

well even if there were these multiple shapes for one curve idea to minimize filesize.... what about playback??

Flash will lag considerably trying to redraw all these shapes.

flash export is great providing you keep the red asterisk on the layer =P