Macton tools?

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Macton tools?

Post by synthsin75 »

Does anyone have, or know where I can find the Macton modified tools? I found where Vern had posted a new link for the other scripts, but it didn't include the tools. Namely his megamagnet and scale points modified tools.
I'd appreciate anyone who could point me in the right direction to look at least. Thanks.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I only downloaded the other scripts. I never even looked at the tool scripts from Macton. It was so far down the list I didn't see them. :oops:

If anyone else has these and doesn't have a place to upload them or doesn't want the hassle please post a message here or PM me so I can give you my email address so I can post them on my site.

These tools look very useful and it would be a shame if we lost them. I'm sure they could be "reinvented" but it would be such a waste not to have the originals and save the work.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

In an old post Genete mentions using the Crashcore ( I.e. Macton) megamagnet tool. Maybe he still has a copy of it.
Genete

Post by Genete »

http://www.darthfurby.com/genete/Script ... Magnet.zip

Unfortunately that's the only script that I have apart of the menu ones.
-G
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Thanks Genete. I really appreciate it.
teotoon

Post by teotoon »

I have collected almost all the scripts posted to this forum so far. They only have to be organized in my computer. If Vern could host these on his site, this would be great. The only thing I think about; whether we should ask the permission of the original scripters. Otherwise I can post them as soon as I compile.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

teotoon wrote:I have collected almost all the scripts posted to this forum so far. They only have to be organized in my computer. If Vern could host these on his site, this would be great. The only thing I think about; whether we should ask the permission of the original scripters. Otherwise I can post them as soon as I compile.
Unless we hear from them specifically I don't think there is a problem posting the scripts. Their site doesn't even exist anymore. As far as we know they are "out of business". Also there was no mention of usage limitations.

If they didn't want these scripts online they would log on and delete that thread. In the meantime we need to make sure those links work... that's my opinion anyway.

teotoon,

When you get the scripts ready just PM me for my email if you want me to host them. I hope someday the forum gets updated so we can post files here. I could get hit by a bus! (fingers crossed, knock on wood). ;)

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Vern,
When do that please copy and paste the scripts in the post as plain text. It would make it safe for ever (meanwhile this forum is alive)
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Good idea. Actually anyone could do that.

I've noticed you do that a lot Genete. I've just never gotten use to doing it. It makes me feel naked. Like I am exposed. If people want to look at my ugly code they can download the file. ;)

I was thinking that AS projects could be posted that way as well... but it would really make the forum hard to read with a bunch of those all over the place. ;)

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

but it would really make the forum hard to read with a bunch of those all over the place. :wink:
Well you're forum moderator. I guess you can make a sticky post to collect only scripts and don't allow people say stuff there. Make the discussions in other place and just make links to internal forum posts where the script is pasted.
:wink:
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Genete wrote:
but it would really make the forum hard to read with a bunch of those all over the place. :wink:
Well you're forum moderator. I guess you can make a sticky post to collect only scripts and don't allow people say stuff there. Make the discussions in other place and just make links to internal forum posts where the script is pasted.
:wink:
I think posting scripts is fine. They are fairly short most times. I was thinking that since an AS file are also text files they could be posted the same way... but those files are REALLY REALLY long.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Wow, I'm glad I asked. These ideas would really help new people find this stuff. Genete has a great idea. Just make a place to post AS files and scripts as text in the forum, and use this as a file hosting area. Then, like he said, just reference that url in your regular postings. That would solve the problem of having to wade through pages of file text just to read the topics.
I guess the only question would be, can an AS .anme/.moho files fit on one page in the forum? If not, then the determined amoung us could always paste them all together.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I guess the only question would be, can an AS .anme/.moho files fit on one page in the forum?
I've never tested the forum for this but it would depend on if there are length limits to a post. Many scripting forums (php, java, javascript, etc) often have enorumous gigantic scripts as text in the post.

I would expect this could be a way to post files here. In reality it wouldn't take more space in the db or server than being able to host the files themselves.

The problem of course is copying and saving out these files. As you say, the dedicated would just get the job done regardless. ;)

I just hope that as AS gets more "popular" and maybe starts making more money... they could expand the forum to include limited uploads for files. It just makes more sense. If we paste the text it's going to take the same space on the server anyway.

I do like the idea of a sticky for posting files as text. It would probably only hold one file per page anyway due to the text length. Just a few layers and the size of an AS file can get quite long. You would want to also post it with the "code /code" tags around it to keep the formatting and indicate the exact text that should be copied.

Oh wait! Hold on! You could set the FONT SIZE REALLY REALLY REALLY SMALL!!! That would cut down on the length of the posting...

Uh... I just tried a test... YIKES! Even set to the smallest size a small simple AS project file scrolls for ETERNITY! It is not a fun thing. If you had a file with more that one or two layers and a bunch of key frames it would be ENORMOUS GIGANTIC AND SCROLL TO THE SOUTH POLE! ;)

I suppose it could be used if there is absolutely no other option. I would be less inclined to download a file that way though.

-vern
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah. It's still a brilliant idea for the scripts though. I can't wait to see them all in one place. Very exciting.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

How about someone posting all them on Lulu under one name? Why Lulu, because it does make money and is not going to disappear like so many file hosting websites.

Dale