Flash-style drawing with shape recognition

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TheTallGuy

Flash-style drawing with shape recognition

Post by TheTallGuy »

I love the shape-recognizing capability in Flash's pencil tool, and I'd love to see a similar tool in Moho. From my limited exposure to Moho's scripts, it seems like one could create a recognizing draw tool in Moho. (Um, LM, is that right?)

Does anyone know some free source code out there that does that? Something I could use as a reference?
Simpy

Post by Simpy »

I'm not sure if Lua extends that far...

I guess it should.

Ask lost marble :wink:
Fear Me Mortals
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

flash doesnt recognise shapes it just approximates based on the line you just drew and it has three values, curvey/smooth , straight and freeform..

I think lua is very capable of it
cribble

Post by cribble »

to be honest, i woudn't want this. I like MoHo because you can draw objects etc without the program deciding it'll turn it into a cricle or a square. Fair enough if its a script, but still, i would hate it if moho did this.
Last edited by cribble on Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Scott
cribble.net
spasmodic_cheese

Post by spasmodic_cheese »

I would not like it either, but freehand means it doesnt approximate at all (apart from flash rendering)
TheTallGuy

Post by TheTallGuy »

cribble wrote:to be honest, i woudn't want this. I like MoHo because you can draw objects etc without the program deciding it'll turn it into a cricle or a square. Fair enough if its a script, but still, i would hate it if moho did this.
Yeah, the beauty of scripts is you can use them or not, depending on your needs. I didn't like Flash's line "improvements" at first, either. But I find with my tablet skills, I need all the help Flash can give me to get really straight, clean lines. It's often great to have the wobbles gone from my lines without me even having to think about it.

At the moment, one can get nice straight lines in Moho if one doesn't mind clicking control points and then going back and adjusting the curviness of the line. This is fine (and lord, I've done tons of it since I starting using Moho two years ago). But to me, it's not drawing. Now that I'm using a tablet more -- or trying to, at least :) -- I'd love to find a way to capture more of that "pencil to paper" feel. The freehand tool is still a bit too literal for me...
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

Not sure If I'm talking about same thing here, but the freehand tool from moho has a config to allow what you are asking :?
Well, not exactly. What it lacks is intuitiveness, since it could be a long trial and error to get the exact settings-
Maybe some predefined values on the dialog would help! :wink: