Multi-select mod for SelectShape tool (Requires CP Product)

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rudiger

Multi-select mod for SelectShape tool (Requires CP Product)

Post by Rudiger »

Updated - 30 June 2011
Version 1.2: Added text box showing number of currently selected shapes, as requested by Onionskin.

Updated - 22 June 2011
Fixed most recent links below (lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1.zip and lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1_no_shift.zip) by putting the icon images in the lm_select_shape subfolder.

Updated - 4 May 2011
Added link below to version which works more similarly to Fazek's modified tools, and does not require holding down the shift key (lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1_no_shift.zip).

Original Post - 25 March 2011
I would like to announce that I have modified Anime Studio's standard Select Shape tool, lm_select_shape.lua, to add some additional features, mostly focused around selecting multiple shapes at a time.
Here's a brief summary of the new features:
  • * Select/Deselect multiple shapes at a time, using Shift-Click, rectangle or lasso selection modes. Shapes are selected when the selection area overlaps at least one of their points.
    * Create and select named shape groups, similar to points. This feature actually just uses point groups so you can share groups between the Select Shape and Select Points tools as well.
    * Improved changing selection of most-recently selected block using <Ctrl>-Up or <Ctrl>-Down. Supports deselection as well as selection.
    * Shape Num window shows the stacking order number of the most recently selected shape.
    * Set the stacking order of the most-recently selected shape by directly entering the shape number in the Shape Num window. If multiple shapes are selected, then they will be moved along with the most-recently selected shape.
    * Move multiple shapes up and down in the stacking order using the Up and Down arrow keys. Holding down Shift will move the block of currently selected shapes to the top or the bottom of the shape stack. Holding down <Shift>-<Ctrl> will move the most-recently selected shape to the top or bottom of the block of selected shapes.
    * Gather selected shapes together towards the most-recently selected shape using a button in the toolbar. This makes the selected shapes a contiguous block.
    * The shape effect handle now gets set to bold for selected shapes, so you can more easily tell which handle controls which shape.
    * Set shape properties for multiple shapes at once using the Style palette. Initially, only the bottom-most selected shape is affected, but you can propagate the changes to all of the other selected shapes using a button in the toolbar.
    * Compatible with Anime Studio Pro/Debut, versions 6.0 and up.
    * Holding down <Ctrl>-<Shift>-<Alt> with the Up and Down arrows keys now cycles through the selected shapes to change which one is considered to be the most recently selected (New in version 1.1).
    * Added new button/shortcut toggle_selection (l), which toggles the current selection between points and shapes (New in version 1.1).
By the way, I had to keep the name, LM_SelectShape, otherwise shape effect previews would no longer get shown.

It can be downloaded from here (Updated 30 June 2011):
lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.2_no_shift.zip
lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.2.zip
lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1_no_shift.zip
lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1.zip
lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.0.zip

Before you download it, though, you need to know that it requires a utility library that I've decided to only make available through my ContentParadise store:
http://www.contentparadise.com/productd ... x?id=17746

NB New features will only be added to the free lm_select_shape script and will therefore not require the utility library to be redownloaded.[/b]
Last edited by Rudiger on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Onionskin

Re: Modified Select Shape tool with multiple shape support

Post by Onionskin »

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT!!! Something I wanted long time ago, brilliant script!
:P :P :P
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

This sounds like a big improvement over Rudiger's older shape tool (not to mention lm's tool). Can't wait to try it!
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Added some new features to the modified lm_select_shape tool:

* Holding down <Ctrl>-<Shift>-<Alt> with the Up and Down arrows keys now cycles through the selected shapes to change which one is considered to be the most recently selected. The new most recently selected shape also flashes so you can see where it is. This is useful if you want to change which shape to gather selected shapes to or which shape you want to change the order of, without deselecting and reselecting it.
* Added new button/shortcut toggle_selection (l), which toggles the current selection between points and shapes. This is useful if you want to move a bunch of selected shapes or change the shape properties for bunch of selected points.

Go to the original post in this thread for the updated link. Note that it only effects the freely available download, so there's no need to redownload rt_shape_utils.lua from my ContentParadise store.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Based on a suggestion from Onionskin, I have create a new version of the tool which behaves more like Fazek's modified tools in that you don't have to hold down shift to add to the selection. You can find a link to the file (lm_select_shape_rudiger_v1.1_no_shift.zip) in the original post of this thread.

Again, it only effects the freely available download, so there's no need to redownload rt_shape_utils.lua from my ContentParadise store.
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

Thank you Rudiger!
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

Rudriger,
I am great fan of your modified shape script, for me ASP is useles without that script. In version 8 it works perfect also.
I have one request for that script if you agree, I wish the script has in status bar info of number of selected shapes if it is possible please.

And one question about scripting in version 8, I read somewhere in the forum you are thrilled with new scripting abilities, Is it now possible to make animate shape order on timeline?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Onionskin wrote:Rudriger,
I am great fan of your modified shape script, for me ASP is useles without that script. In version 8 it works perfect also.
I have one request for that script if you agree, I wish the script has in status bar info of number of selected shapes if it is possible please.
I know what you mean. I wasn't able to use AS8 more than 20 minutes without being forced to install my multi select shape tool!

I'll add your request to the list!
Onionskin wrote: And one question about scripting in version 8, I read somewhere in the forum you are thrilled with new scripting abilities, Is it now possible to make animate shape order on timeline?
AS8 lets you access and change the names of shapes and has fixed the bug to do with rendering projects with embedded scripts on multi-core machines, so the answer is yes :)!
Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

Onionskin wrote: Is it now possible to make animate shape order on timeline?
Rudiger wrote:the answer is yes :)!
:shock: this is music for my ears

Rudriger, Is there such a script somewhere on your work list of future scripts?
If not can you put it to request list also please?
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Onionskin wrote:
Onionskin wrote: Is it now possible to make animate shape order on timeline?
Rudiger wrote:the answer is yes :)!
:shock: this is music for my ears

Rudriger, Is there such a script somewhere on your work list of future scripts?
If not can you put it to request list also please?
Actually, it has been on my list since I first started using Moho seven years ago :)!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

fantastic tool mod! LOVE IT! converting between point/shape selections is genius... huge time savings to be had - HIGHLY RECCOMENDED! Also works
great with v8 alt+right click layer selection

btw, in the 'no shift' package at least, the button image resources aren't in the right folder, they should be put into a 'lm_select_shape' folder inside the Resources folder.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

I have updated the version 1.1 zip files on the first post of this thread and they now have the icon images in the correct subfolder.
Rudiger

Post by Rudiger »

Added text box that displays number of selected shapes, as requested by Onionskin :). As usual, link is on front page.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

Onionskin

Post by Onionskin »

Great, thank you :D