ASP still needs a Mirror Bones tool!

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Autex

ASP still needs a Mirror Bones tool!

Post by Autex »

*Taken from feature request*

I know this is an old topic for some of you long time ASP users out there, but people have been wanting this for years, and ASP still doesn't have it. Vern made a lua script for it years ago as well, but that thing doesn't work anymore with the newer versions of ASP. You would save a lot of time during rigging.. just build half of it, mirror, then you already have the other half. Of course you'd have to bind the points on the other half of the geometry, but in 3D programs it's no different.

If anyone has come up with a cool trick to do it with the program, let me know. I'm spending too much time on something I shouldn't have to.
Hammer down on an empty chamber
heyvern

Re: ASP still needs a Mirror Bones tool!

Post by heyvern »

Will post my new version of mirror bones soon. Working on a new download manager for the my company website to make it easier for me to keep track of versions and embed videos etc.

I updated it so it will copy/flip/scale. You can copy a whole skeleton and scale it to any percentage of the original skeleton. The scaling has saved me SOOOO much time! I sometimes create stuff at the wrong size in relation to another character or file or the size of effects etc and need to scale up not only vectors (points not layers) but the bones as well. I hate scaling layers. It just doesn't work as well in situations that require large changes in size because of line widths and scale compensation and effects scaling. A future version should have the ability to scale an entire bone layer with all sub layer points in one go... next version hopefully. :)

-vern
Autex

Post by Autex »

Vern, awesome.

I die a little each time I have to rebuild a bone chain from right to left. The bone scale function also will be a godsend, because I refuse to scale layers...layers need to stay 0,0,0 for my projects.

Keep me updated, I can't wait!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I have a "bone chain" creator as well. I know that's not what you meant by bone chain, but it is great for physics and making ropes, or tails for characters in one step. Just type in length and number of bones, how many rows or columns space between each bone etc. I get carried away, create files with like 400 bones in chains and run physics on them.

This reminds me, I have to put all my scripts into sub categories for Anime Studio type, bone, vector, layer etc.

-vern
JimmyMcNulty

Post by JimmyMcNulty »

This is just great. Can't wait to try it.

@Vern: Do you plan to bring some more of your old scripts back to life? Don't want to be rude, but there some very interesting scripts, that don't work with ASP 8. :cry:

Keep on with the great stuff. :)

Jimmy
Autex

Post by Autex »

Bone chain creator sounds great as well. These are all excellent time-saving scripts.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Everything will be back and much better organized for easy access and download and documentation. I am updating everything so it works in both v8 and v9. There was some changes to v9 I have to learn.

I have so many scripts and new ones recently, if there is one specifically let me know and I will make sure it's in my list.

-vern
Autex

Post by Autex »

Vern, since you said you have so many scripts hidden away in a box somewhere, do you by chance have an "add bone" script with snapping functionality? What I mean is, you create a bone, and the next bone you create can snap directly to the endpoint of the bone you just created, so the bone chain is nice and clean. I know you said you have a bone chain creation script, but this is something that could be done on the fly.

8)

Thanks by the way for all your awesome fast answers.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

SNAP BONE TOOL!!!!! Freaking AWESOME!!! I can't believe I never thought of that!

Wow. The trouble is this SHOULD BE in the translate AND add bone tools as a check box or modifier key and/or a pixel distance. Translate Bone... drag SNAP! Add Bone... drag SNAP! This is way too late to get it into v9 but should be an option for future versions or updates (as well as flipping bones to).

If this is a DEFAULT behavior it could be based on the bone SHAPE. Draw or drag a bone within the bone shape SNAP and PARENTED and TOTALLY ELIMINATE the need for the reparent tool entirely!!! A checkbox to automatically parent bones by drag/release.

Follow along:
A new option for the translate bone tool. Drag a bone to another bone, and it becomes a child of that bone and snaps BACK to it's original position OR it snaps to the bone base or tip based on location or modifier key or a checkbox. WOW! I LOVE THIS IDEA! Will start a new thread for this script idea to make sure no one has done this already.

THANKS DUDE! AWESOME IDEA TOTALLY AWESOME! I can't believe I never thought of this myself. Any idea to eliminate switching tools or having to type into a box is great. My head is spinning must do this right away. So cool!

-vern
JimmyMcNulty

Post by JimmyMcNulty »

heyvern wrote: Wow. The trouble is this SHOULD BE in the translate AND add bone tools as a check box or modifier key and/or a pixel distance. Translate Bone... drag SNAP! Add Bone... drag SNAP! This is way too late to get it into v9 but should be an option for future versions or updates (as well as flipping bones to).

If this is a DEFAULT behavior it could be based on the bone SHAPE. Draw or drag a bone within the bone shape SNAP and PARENTED and TOTALLY ELIMINATE the need for the reparent tool entirely!!! A checkbox to automatically parent bones by drag/release.
This a very good idea. I think I would prefer a checkbox. To have this in translate and add bone tool sounds also very good.

I don't get the thing with the parenting. If you do this, it should be maybe an unchecked checkbox, because I think most of the time this could cause some problems. I mean, maybe it's switching parenting all the time. But maybe it's easier as I think.

Jimmy

PS: Could it be possible to do the same snap thing for the shape tool too? Would be also very useful.
Autex

Post by Autex »

Hey Vern,

any further information about your worldwide release of the new mirror bones tool? I'm so excited I dream about it at night. :P :D
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I am overworked and underpaid at the moment. :)

Soon as I get over this "hump" of projects I will start to focus on scripting updates.

-vern
Autex

Post by Autex »

Ha! I am familiar with this condition. Good luck!

Cheers