Bone Markers Menu Script

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Bone Markers Menu Script

Post by heyvern »

I created a new menu script that creates bone markers on a vector layer.

This is useful for many uses. It creates markers for selected bones so you can turn off all construction curves and see only markers for bones used during animation. It removes clutter and streamlines the animation process. While watching one of the webinars about smart bones, someone asked about a way to create markers for control bones. This would work well for those types of rigs.

The script will automatically create a non rendering vector layer with bone markers point bound to the bone. You can change colors of the markers and add the bone name as text (simplified custom stroke text font)

bone-markers-menu-script
pihms

Re: Bone Markers Menu Script

Post by pihms »

What an awesome script! Really! You may find this hard to believe, but I was thinking , just the other day, how it would be nice to have markers for the bones. The names under the bones, for those that I use as dials, I have wanted to see that feature for a long time. This has made it easier to work with the dials and not have to go back and move the dial to see what it is attached to. :D

Very impressive, and well though out. Thank you Vern!
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

welcome back buddy! :)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I created this script specifically for my upcoming webinar which I am REALLY looking forward to.
My practice sessions kept taking way too long if I tried drawing and binding the bone markers... so... what the heck let's script it!
Now I can skip over that whole part of the process and just click the button. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Great script Vern, thanks.

Here's an icon for your walkcycle script btw.....( I couldn't work out how to use it but here's an icon) :D
DaiBach

Post by DaiBach »

I am a Studio Debut 8 user and this is the second script I have loaded. I have 3 problems, 2 minor and 1 major.
1 - when I try and edit the Tool List Txt file I am not allowed to save it. I get around this by moving the file into another folder. editing, saving then copying back into the original folder. What am I doing wrong?
2 - In Studio I have the Bone Marker icon in two places. The Draw tool area and the "Other" Tool area. Only the Draw tool area icon has any effect.

3 - When I try and label a bone I select the bone fill in the dialogue boxes and click OK. A new layer is created and a large marker or bone symbol displayed but no text or apparent association with a bone. An error message is displayed
"\hv_bonemarkers.lua:391: error in function 'AddPointKeyframe' arguement #3 is 'nill'; '[no object]' expected"

Can anybody shed any light on what is happening? At the moment these scripts a akin to witchcraft though in the past I have written scrips for a database so eventually I hope to have a go at Studio.
Here's hoping it's just me doing something daft
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I no longer have version 8 so I can't test it out. I have a feeling that the scripting interface for Anime Studio may have changed during the update to 9 and that is why there could be errors. I can't be 100% sure of this.

What OS are you using? The reason you can't save the tool list file may be due to file permissions but I'm just guessing.

When you add this script to your tool list make sure you make it a button and not a tool. I will look at the script again and make sure that I haven't done something wrong in the set up of the tool. It shouldn't be conflicting with any others but I will check it to make sure.
DaiBach

Post by DaiBach »

Thanks Heyvern for replying so promptly.
The save file was down to Windows 7 permissions so that is ok now.
I have written Button in the tools file.
I tried removing that line from the tools file to see what happened to the two icons, the icon from the draw tools section no longer appears but the "Other" remains and is still non operative.
I have re written the tools file and everything is as it was with the script crashing with the error message.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Can you simply copy and paste your _tool_list.txt file here?

Click the "Code" button at the top and then paste the whole thing in. I can look at it and see if there something not set right. It could be the extra images although that shouldn't cause a problem. Do you have the script installed in both the menu and tool folder? It should only be in one place.

As for the error you are getting (line 391), this is due to a change in the script interface from v8 to v9. I tried to fix it and uploaded a new version if you want to try it. I don't have v8 to test it on so I can't promise it will work. I fixed that one error you saw but there may be others.

http://hubumedia.com/anime-studio-servi ... enu-script
DaiBach

Post by DaiBach »

Code: Select all

[group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Draw=Draw")
tool	lm_select_points	G
tool	lm_translate_points	T
tool	lm_scale_points		S
tool	lm_rotate_points	R

tool	lm_add_point		A
tool	lm_freehand			F
tool	lm_shape			E
button	lm_insert_text		...
tool	lm_scatterbrush		...
tool	lm_delete_edge		D
tool	lm_curvature		C
tool	lm_magnet			X

tool	lm_perspective_points	...
tool	lm_shear_points		...
tool	lm_bend_points		...
tool	lm_noise			N
button	HV_BoneMarkers		...

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Fill=Fill")
tool	lm_select_shape		Q
tool	lm_create_shape		U
tool	lm_paint_bucket		P
tool	lm_delete_shape		...
tool	lm_eyedropper		...
tool	lm_line_width		W
tool	lm_hide_edge		H
tool	lm_curve_exposure	...
tool	lm_curve_profile	...

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Special=Special")
tool	lm_switch_layer		...
tool	lm_particle_layer	...
tool	lm_image_masking	...
tool	lm_video_tracking	A
tool	lm_poser			...

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Bone=Bone")
tool	lm_select_bone		B
tool	lm_translate_bone	T
tool	lm_scale_bone		S
tool	lm_rotate_bone		R

tool	lm_add_bone			A
tool	lm_reparent_bone	P
tool	lm_bone_strength	...
tool	lm_manipulate_bones	Z

tool	lm_bind_layer		...
tool	lm_bind_points		I
tool	lm_offset_bone		...
tool	lm_bone_physics		...

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Layer=Layer")
tool	lm_translate_layer	1
tool	lm_scale_layer		2
tool	lm_rotate_layer		3
tool	lm_set_origin		0

tool	lm_follow_curve		...
tool	lm_rotate_layer_xy	...
tool	lm_shear_layer		...
tool	lm_shape_picker		...

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Camera=Camera")
tool	lm_track_camera		4
tool	lm_zoom_camera		5
tool	lm_roll_camera		6
tool	lm_pantilt_camera	7

group MOHO.Localize("/Tools/Group/Workspace=Workspace")
tool	lm_pan_workspace	...
tool	lm_zoom_workspace	...
tool	lm_rotate_workspace	8
tool	lm_orbit_workspace	9
/code]
Heyvern here is the tool_list.txt file.

I have tried the new version of the script and at first glance all appears to be ok. I still have the "spare" icon in the tools "other" area but I can live with that if a fix is not easy to find. All of the Fazeks tools appear in this area (there is no additional code in the tool list file) so I just assumed that all additional tool icons loaded into the scripts tool folder showed as OTHER. I don't think Debut allows me to add menu scripts so script should not be in the menu folder (I can,t find it anyway).
Again many thanks for your help.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Woohooo!

That's great. I am also happy that someone using Debut is trying this out.

I think the "extra" icon might be the smaller version of the png image? This is just a wild guess. Not sure what debut does with those smaller png images or how they are used. Your _tool_list.txt file looks correct. The bone marker script is under the "draw" group section so that makes sense. The working version is in the draw section. You said that the non working icon is in the other section... hmm...

The way it usually works if you don't put a custom tool script in the _tool_list.txt file it automatically shows up in the "other" section because Anime Studio doesn't know where else to put it.

I will fire up my copy of Debut and see if there is something about the code causing this to show up as both a "tool" and a "button" at the same time. I am so use to testing in Pro I tend to forget that debut can be different.