Master Control Keys???

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BA

Master Control Keys???

Post by BA »

OK, don't know if this is even within the realm of the possible...

One of the problems that I have with the structure of the timeline is that in a complex project it becomes difficult to keep track of where all the keys are. Not being able to see one layer's keys in relation to those of another really makes things more difficult than they need to be.

Moho improves on Flash's timeline by giving you individual tracks for each property. But it loses in the lack of multiple tracks, and would be MUCH easier to use if it implemented an After Effects - style multi-track timeline... But I digress. On to the script idea:

This would be very useful in either version - but perhaps essential for quick manipulation of the timeline as it is now. What if you had a new layer which contained 'Master Control Frames' which were somehow linked to the keyframes within specified layers. If you moved a MCF, it would move all the connected frames on all layers accordingly. Perhaps it could even scale the animation for those layers between itself and the next MCF.

This would enable you to have a better view of the timing for your project as a whole, and allow a more fast and flexible method of tweaking the entire animation.

Scripters - is this a conceivable combination/modification of existing tools, or should I copy this concept into the Feature Requests forum?
dinf

Post by dinf »

a very interesting and useful idea! after animating a little scene (done in about 2 hours) i feel a bit worried about the lack of an overview to all keys or even some choosen one like i use them in 3D animation packages..

BA, did you get any feedback to that?
BA

Post by BA »

it sounds like the sort of thing that needs to be a new feature as opposed to a script, unless someone out there can basically hack the timeline...

haven't gotten much of a response to this idea, but i stand by the notion that this would be a HUGE added value and animation advantage. As someone creating complex animations, keeping track of every keyframe in every layer is sometimes utterly unrealistic. Creating a way to scale specific segments of animation (specific to certain layers) would save hours and hours of clicking around, and produce a much more intuitive system.
Create cartoon characters and comics in minutes: www.bitstrips.com
dinf

Post by dinf »

indeed, BA, indeed.. and i surely were not the only one to be very happy if we would find such feature as a 'complex to handle-timeline' in one of lost marbles next updates :)

and i think also, we should not forget what powerful tool Moho already is. and this for a very few bucks, compared to other applications wich probably do less for much more money ;)
at this place, a big "thanks" to lost marble from me. you got my deepest respect, mr.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I do find it tough when trying to line up keyframes from multiple layers or relatively line them up... or... just know where the heck something moves so I can relate to it physiologically.

What about something "simple" to start with like... markers in the timeline that could be seen from all layers?

(I... uh... use those disk labels or small post its and stick them to my screen sometimes... or... write down the key frame numbers.)

Some kind of "master timeline" for universal editing would be nice though.

And I agree 100% with dinf's "small print discalaimer"

-Vern