Blob Mod

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Blob Mod

Post by chucky »

Image This is getting better and Better!
This example took seconds
This exact task of drawing a tree (for example) all masked with light source is now fast, fluid and looks a million times cooler.
The point count is super low too.

I say we could afford a bunch more points to maintain even better fidelity, we can always do a reduce pass at the end with the reducer tool eh?

I'm amazed at how quickly you did this Wes.
This is a really big deal I think.
:D :D :D
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote:I say we could afford a bunch more points to maintain even better fidelity, we can always do a reduce pass at the end with the reducer tool eh?

I'm amazed at how quickly you did this Wes.
This is a really big deal I think.
:D :D :D
You can still lower the point reduction to get more points.

And the funny thing (and why it was so fast) is that this simplification code was already in there. Just had to disable the one it was using and enable what I assume was older code.

Glad you guys like it.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oh yeah, 5% works nice.
I think that should be default.

Anyway, lovin it.
Only problem is the old curved one doesn't work (of course) :roll:
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

This is a cool brush! :D
DK

Post by DK »

It works perfectly with the eraser tool too. Just skim a bit of width off lines here and there.
Is there a way of having a preset end? Square or Tapered? Sometimes a line will taper off.
(Being really picky here sorry:)

Cheers
D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote:It works perfectly with the eraser tool too. Just skim a bit of width off lines here and there.
Is there a way of having a preset end? Square or Tapered? Sometimes a line will taper off.
(Being really picky here sorry:)

Cheers
D.K
Maybe try lowering the point reduction, so there's enough to maintain the end when the points are peaked.

When I have time, I'll see if either of the other brush shapes can be made useable.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Here's one with sharp corners and basic simplify options (enable both these for the same hard-coded changes of the last one I posted).
https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1
I've also added square, diamond, and hatch brushes. Don't know how useful these will be (and hatch is way point heavy), but I thought people might like to play with them.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Woah.. this is cool,
A complete replacement for the original.
Those shapes are good too , actually the square is particularly useful for landscapes and rocky features.

This is exactly the approach the original brush should have taken.

One legacy is lingering in this version, the melting.
Obviously that's not your script at all, but original code.... and blob's greatest fault.
I thought increasing the res to 4k might possibly trick the software to sample differently ( clearly I was dreaming). :lol:
It is still pretty aggressive even with no smoothing or point reduction, basic or normal.
l use 'the tree test' to check pretty much any drawing tool . If you start a tree , by the time you get to the twigs , the whole tree starts melting like the wicked Witch of the west.

I know top bar is getting full otherwise I'd push for a strokes on/off ( like the shapes tool) checkbox too. :P
Yeah , it's looking great Wes, If this old melting would go away I could see myself doing lot of work with this.

Actually , little question here for you about how Moho works .
Why does Moho bog down so easily when drawing? - both freehand and blob, when other vector based apps make no fuss at all?

I draw with CSP and Toon Boom vectors daily but they go on forever and never chugg or or skip, no matter how much detail you put in, even on FBF animation.

I accept some limitation of course but, Moho is actually pretty hopeless after about 50 strokes. :cry:
I'm on an i7 with 32RAM.
DK

Post by DK »

The melting looks like some type of overall shape compensation for added points. Is there a way you can freeze each point as it is placed possibly?

D.K
chucky

Post by chucky »

What I assume is happening is that every time you lift the pen, Moho quickly renders a hidden raster image and then traces a vector path off that.
The distortion being a bit like digital 'Chinese whispers' ( for want of a better phrase).
I think the resolution is basically a screengrab, and I guess the new point count would not be able to distinguish what the 'old' points were.
It does appear to be in theory ( I know nothing about code of course) that maybe if the screengrab cross referenced the new points and the old ones.... hmmm sounds difficult.
Either that or a hidden copy of the file that runs at a higher resolution... still all sounds very tricky and messy.
Coder's wisdom would be great here, be nice to know why TB and Clip can do it but Moho can't...... yet
DK

Post by DK »

chucky....if you start drawing a long curvy line, leaving the pen on the screen without lifting...watch how the rest of the curve shape adjusts, (melts), the longer the line gets. It's as if the shape is compensating itself as it accumulates more and more points or is it just my version doing that? I'm still using Moho 12.

D.K
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

chucky wrote:Woah.. this is cool,
A complete replacement for the original.
Those shapes are good too , actually the square is particularly useful for landscapes and rocky features.

This is exactly the approach the original brush should have taken.

One legacy is lingering in this version, the melting.
Obviously that's not your script at all, but original code.... and blob's greatest fault.
I thought increasing the res to 4k might possibly trick the software to sample differently ( clearly I was dreaming). :lol:
It is still pretty aggressive even with no smoothing or point reduction, basic or normal.
l use 'the tree test' to check pretty much any drawing tool . If you start a tree , by the time you get to the twigs , the whole tree starts melting like the wicked Witch of the west.

I know top bar is getting full otherwise I'd push for a strokes on/off ( like the shapes tool) checkbox too. :P
Yeah , it's looking great Wes, If this old melting would go away I could see myself doing lot of work with this.

Actually , little question here for you about how Moho works .
Why does Moho bog down so easily when drawing? - both freehand and blob, when other vector based apps make no fuss at all?

I draw with CSP and Toon Boom vectors daily but they go on forever and never chugg or or skip, no matter how much detail you put in, even on FBF animation.

I accept some limitation of course but, Moho is actually pretty hopeless after about 50 strokes. :cry:
I'm on an i7 with 32RAM.
Glad you like it, Chucky.

Yeah, the combining strokes/shapes seems to be an all or nothing proposition. Either everything is recalculated or you don't combine them...at least not without coming up with a new method to do so from scratch. It's not based on rendering or project size. What it seems to be doing is using the existing points (including the new stroke) to redraw the whole thing, as if it were a single stroke you just drew.

With 100% point reduction and 0 smoothing, I don't seem much "melting" here. And it already has an auto-stroke option, if that's what you mean by strokes on/off.

Moho probably bogs down drawing because it has zero raster capabilities, and CSP and TB can use raster as a display stand-in to improve performance. GPU acceleration in Moho tries to accomplish some of this, but it can only rasterize unselected layers.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

DK wrote:chucky....if you start drawing a long curvy line, leaving the pen on the screen without lifting...watch how the rest of the curve shape adjusts, (melts), the longer the line gets. It's as if the shape is compensating itself as it accumulates more and more points or is it just my version doing that? I'm still using Moho 12.

D.K
That's the smoothing setting. Reducing it to 0 removes the adjustment as you draw.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Hmmm, l 're not seen that I unless you are using 'smoothing' I which is like a lazy Nezumi kind of thing.
l see a definite snap when lifting the pen as the shape is defined .
Sometimes there's a weird 'old' bug where the sketch shrinks at that point too.That 's not related to anything discussed here though.

Edit: yeah what Wes said :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Updated with a small change that might help the melting, with low smoothing settings, a bit.

https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1

The snap when lifting the pen is expected, but isn't the problem of changes to earlier strokes.