Moho Scripts List

Moho allows users to write new tools and plugins. Discuss scripting ideas and problems here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jezjones29

Moho Scripts List

Post by jezjones29 »

I've starting putting together a list of Moho scripts:
https://www.animestudiotutor.com/link/605/

There are so many great scripts to list, I can see this is going to take a some time.
There's sorting and a search function.
I'm also trying to create as many icons as possible, along with useful descriptions and images.
Hopefully it'll be helpful. Even if it acts as a backup.
Barry Baker

Re: Moho Scripts List

Post by Barry Baker »

Thank you, this is a wonderful resource!
DK

Post by DK »

Yeah great list. Some are in need of an update though.
Cheers
D.K
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, thanks for doing this!
Phazor

Post by Phazor »

I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the right place, but I'm a newcomer and I was looking for tutorials on how to install scripts and I didn't find much about it.

I also have ideas for scripts, but I don't have coding skills and for me to get into coding would be too overwhelming for me, as I'm an animator, a writer, video editor, and I make my own music as well.

Anyway, I guess that makes this a two-part post, to ask how to install the different types of scripts and wanted to ask where I would go to request for someone to perhaps make some new scripts.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

I don't have time to go into detail but here's a few tips:

install your scripts in the Custom Content Folder. You can access that from the file Menu. If you haven't set it yet, you should do it when prompted. Once you have this folder open, you can install scripts in the Script folder. Note that tool scripts go in the Tools folder, Menu scripts in the Menu folder, etc.

The documentation that comes with the script should explain what kind of script you have. if there is no documentation, there is probably information inside the script file itself. You can use a regular text reader to read it.

The Custom Content Folder is the place where you can add modifications to Moho without disturbing the original program data files. The way it works is that whatever you add here will non-destructively override the file normally loaded from the original program folder, and whatever doesn't exist in the original program folders gets added from this area. While you can install scripts and mods directly to the original program folder, that's generally a bad idea. If you run into a bad script or mod, It's a lot easier to troubleshoot problems when you've placed the items in the CCF. Also, if you update Moho, using the CCF keeps Moho from overwriting your custom scripts and mods.

To update Moho with changes you make to the CCF, you need to quit Moho and restart it, or you can press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+L to force it to reload from the folders. This shortcut works for Moho 12.x and earlier. For Moho 13 you can CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R.

Note that some tool scripts require you to also install the button icons for the GUI. Menu scripts don't need this, and you can nest menu scripts inside folders to get cascading menus. I like to add a category folder called '+Special' and add my custom scripts here, further categorized by author menus. (The '+' places this menu at the top of the list for quicker access.)

There's info you might glean from watching some of my videos here: https://littlegreendog.com/movies/tutorials/

I would look at the one on Layer Shortcuts. It's not specifically about installing scripts but it demonstrates how to install a specific script. In general, most scripts are installed this way.

As for writing Moho scripts, I'm not much help there, but try dissected existing scripts and play around with modifying the lines and see what they do. I haven't written anything significant for Moho but that's how I learned to write a few tools I use in After Effects. (I'm not really a scripter, I just dabble when I have time, which is almost never.) :)

There are several expert Moho scripters here who can offer more useful advice. Hopefully, they'll pop in post some info soon.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If you make specific requests in the scripting forum, a scripter might take interest. No promises though.
Trizul96

Post by Trizul96 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:05 am Hi,

I don't have time to go into detail but here's a few tips:

install your scripts in the Custom Content Folder. You can access that from the file Menu. If you haven't set it yet, you should do it when prompted. Once you have this folder open, you can install scripts in the Script folder. Note that tool scripts go in the Tools folder, Menu scripts in the Menu folder, etc.

The documentation that comes with the script should explain what kind of script you have. if there is no documentation, there is probably information inside the script file itself. You can use a regular text reader to read it.

The Custom Content Folder is the place where you can add modifications to Moho without disturbing the original program data files. The way it works is that whatever you add here will non-destructively override the file normally loaded from the original program folder, and whatever doesn't exist in the original program folders gets added from this area. While you can install scripts and mods directly to the original program folder, that's generally a bad idea. If you run into a bad script or mod, It's a lot easier to troubleshoot problems when you've placed the items in the CCF. Also, if you update Moho, using the CCF keeps Moho from overwriting your custom scripts and mods.

To update Moho with changes you make to the CCF, you need to quit Moho and restart it, or you can press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+L to force it to reload from the folders. This shortcut works for Moho 12.x and earlier. For Moho 13 you can CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R.

Note that some tool scripts require you to also install the button icons for the GUI. Menu scripts don't need this, and you can nest menu scripts inside folders to get cascading menus. I like to add a category folder called '+Special' and add my custom scripts here, further categorized by author menus. (The '+' places this menu at the top of the list for quicker access.)

There's info you might glean from watching some of my videos here: https://littlegreendog.com/movies/tutorials/

I would look at the one on Layer Shortcuts. It's not specifically about installing scripts but it demonstrates how to install a specific script. In general, most scripts are installed this way.

As for writing Moho scripts, I'm not much help there, but try dissected existing scripts and play around with modifying the lines and see what they do. I haven't written anything significant for Moho but that's how I learned to write a few tools I use in After Effects. (I'm not really a scripter, I just dabble when I have time, which is almost never.) :)

There are several expert Moho scripters here who can offer more useful advice. Hopefully, they'll pop in post some info soon.
Hei, how do install script utilities lua files ?, Is it fine to replace the file with the new one since utilities file lua already exists from the previous script, I worried it will break the previous script function If I replace the utilities lua files with the new one.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Trizul96 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:08 am Hei, how do install script utilities lua files ?
Copy the scripts to your own custom content folder /scripts/utility
Trizul96 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:08 am Is it fine to replace the file with the new one since utilities file lua already exists from the previous script, I worried it will break the previous script function If I replace the utilities lua files with the new one.
If you're looking at your own custom content folder /scripts/utility and you're planning on replacing something like FO_Utilities.lua with something else that doesn't include all the functions in the original, effectively unchanged, then yes - you'll break anything that uses them.

====

If you're thinking about wanting a new version of something like lm_select_shape.lua then DON'T overwrite the factory version; just put your version in your custom scripts/tool folder along with whatever else it needs such as icon, cursors etc (see Greenlaw's post). Once again, if you don't preserve the function names and their returns you DO stand a risk of breaking something (because any script can call any global function, and some scripts use functions in other LM_scripts)

so the answer to your question about breaking stuff is "it depends" ... which scripts in which directory are you wanting to replace and with what?
Trizul96

Post by Trizul96 »

hayasidist wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:29 pm
Trizul96 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:08 am Hei, how do install script utilities lua files ?
Copy the scripts to your own custom content folder /scripts/utility
Trizul96 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:08 am Is it fine to replace the file with the new one since utilities file lua already exists from the previous script, I worried it will break the previous script function If I replace the utilities lua files with the new one.
If you're looking at your own custom content folder /scripts/utility and you're planning on replacing something like FO_Utilities.lua with something else that doesn't include all the functions in the original, effectively unchanged, then yes - you'll break anything that uses them.

====

If you're thinking about wanting a new version of something like lm_select_shape.lua then DON'T overwrite the factory version; just put your version in your custom scripts/tool folder along with whatever else it needs such as icon, cursors etc (see Greenlaw's post). Once again, if you don't preserve the function names and their returns you DO stand a risk of breaking something (because any script can call any global function, and some scripts use functions in other LM_scripts)

so the answer to your question about breaking stuff is "it depends" ... which scripts in which directory are you wanting to replace and with what?

Yes, thank you. exactly as you say, that utilities file has its own developer, I just have to make sure the new file utilities that I want to replace will support the previous script from the same developer, that is why now I will only download from the official mohoscript.com.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When I'm not confident that I should replace an older version of a resource with a newer one, I'll compare them. If it's a graphic, I'll look in an image viewer, and if it's text (i.e., a script) in Notepad++. NP++ has a menu that allows you compare two text files side-by-side with the differences marked.

Also, I like to to keep a back up of Moho's default Custom Content Folder, and a back up of my modified one. This way, if something goes really wrong, I can easily regress to a version I know is good. To make a backup I just duplicate the folder and add '_BU' at the end of its folder name. Moho will not read from a backup folder unless you point Moho to it in Preference or change the folder name back to the folder you're pointing it to.