Grabbing Bezier Handles

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

Grabbing Bezier Handles

Post by DK »

Wow...Frustration finally beat me down to a post on this. Not being able to grab the right bezier handles when I am trying to stretch
a curve leaving one side flat. Once you touch the point it's a lucky dip to which handle you are able to drag out. Is there any way to
select which side of the handle you want to stretch the curvature?

Cheers
D.K
cgrotke

Re: Grabbing Bezier Handles

Post by cgrotke »

I run into this, too. I usually just zoom WAY in so I can see better. (It would be nice to be able to select a point, then have a way to cycle around to the next..., sort of like "Find Again" while searching the user manual.)

In Prefs, the colors of points and selections can be changed... maybe a better color will make it easier to see?

There's also the "select inverse," "hide selected points," and "select connected" but I don't think they help much in grabbing handles.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
DK

Post by DK »

It can get very frustrating especially when you accidentally grab the wrong handle and you round out the edge you are trying to keep flat and sharp, then it's a fumble fight trying to re compress the flat end with the bezier handle. Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
D.K
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

In general, I avoid using Bezier mode for points. IMO, Bezier points are not especially useful for animation because they don't interpolate predictably when deformed by bones. Tip: I hide the handles using the Show Handles buttun so I don't accidentally create an unwanted Beizer point. FYI, there is a useful mod by Synthsin75 that adds the Show Bezier button in the Curvature options so I can hide the handles from there too.

If I accidentally create a Bezier point by grabbing a visible handle, I can revert it to a standard point by selecting the point and clicking the Smooth or Peak buttons when Curvature is selected. (Or at anytime by using Peak and Smooth from my MQC panel.)

If I decide to use Bezier points, it's only for background or prop art that I don't intend to deform with bones. After I create the art, I hide the handles so I don't accidentally mess up the art. TBH, I just avoid them most of the time except in special cases, because, sooner or later, I may be asked to animate/deform that piece of art and the Bezier points then become a pain in the butt to deal with.

That said, Victor has an interesting workflow for getting Bezier points to behave during animation. This thread has more info: Bezier points not working as expected
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DK

Post by DK »

Hi Greenlaw.
Thanks for the link. Funnily I had figured that one out some time ago, using extra end points
to hold the bezier in position. Just wish there was a way to drag out the left or right handles.

Cheers
D.K
DK

Re: (SOLVED) Grabbing Bezier Handles

Post by DK »

Just figured it out by experimenting! :)
(Only works with sharp points).
Select a point with the curvatures tool, Hold down Alt Key and left click drag the mouse, both bezier handles
extend out along the line on both sides of the point. Then simply select the handle you wish to manipulate! :D

Cheers
D.K
Sketch_Turner

Post by Sketch_Turner »

Thanks for the tip, DK. I've also been struggling with this.
DK

Post by DK »

NP...it's not a complete fix but it does help.
Cheers
D.K