walk cycle in opposite direction

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

bingobongo

walk cycle in opposite direction

Post by bingobongo »

Hi,

I created a walk-cycle from left to right and now I would like to have another one but this time right to left.

The best way I can see to do this is to change the workspace orbit and that does seem to work. A couple of questions though:

1. Is this the best way to do this or is there another way?
2. If this is the correct way then is it possible to constrain the orbit because at the moment I am just judging by eye that I have rotated the orbit 180 degrees

thank you for any help with this
bingobongo

Post by bingobongo »

scratch that - This looks ok in AS but when I export the png sequence its back to left to right.

any ideas?

thanks
Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Couldn't you simply flip the layers in the animation? That way the character would face and walk in the opposite direction.
~Danimal
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

bingobongo wrote:scratch that - This looks ok in AS but when I export the png sequence its back to left to right.

any ideas?

thanks
How did that happen? If it looks correct in AS it should render the same. How could it "flip back" after rendering?

Danimal is correct. Just put the whole thing in a bone or group layer and flip that layer.

-vern
bingobongo

Post by bingobongo »

thanks for the replies - I will go and give that a try.

@heyvern: it looks ok in AS but when you export the animation to a png sequence it reverts back to how it was rather than what you see in AS (try it out)

<Edit> thanks that works fine and exports ok.

Is there a way to constrain the rotation of the layer (I am rotating on the Y) ? I want to rotate it 180 and I have to do this by eye so its not perfect

thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Oops! My mistake.

That is correct though. Rotating the workspace doesn't effect the camera. Exporting the animation uses the camera for output which isn't changed by workspace rotations or translation.

You don't need to rotate the layer just FLIP the layer using either the flip layer button or checking the flip horizontal check box in the layer properties.

If however you need to rotate the layer as you describe for some other purpose there is a text box at the top of the window when any of the rotate layer tools are selected. You can type numbers to rotate a layer a specific amount.

Holding shift will also constrain the rotate layer tools.

-vern
bingobongo

Post by bingobongo »

Thank you for all the help - much appreciated