Magnet head turn?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

synthsin75

Magnet head turn?

Post by synthsin75 »

I read in another post that there use to be a tutorial which explained how to do a head turn using the magnet tool. I can't find it from that old link. If anyone remembers this technique, I'd love to hear about it.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I've seen a live video of artfx showing how to make a head turn using the magnet tool. Search the posts of artfx.

-G
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

I can't seem to find it on the ArtFx site or in the forum. Can anyone help?
Genete

Post by Genete »

It seems that the links are broken. All them send to his website. Sorry.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

I do remember one technique which used the magnet to create actions which were then used in the head turn -- I don't know if that's what you're referring to.

Basically he created a large magnet to move the eyes, mouth and nose over to one side, and then warped the head outline manually. This was in an action (at one point in the action he then switched nose layers so the nose flopped to the other side, and he also used the sort layers by depth to have the ears on either side get occluded by the head shape as it moved).

As I played with it it was promising but because I couldn't see an easy way to do it with the heads I was using I kind of gave up -- I might revisit it sometime.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, I was wondering if it was a convincing technique. Doesn't sound too impressive though. Just a little cutting corners, huh? Thanks anyway.
Pinesal

Post by Pinesal »

Wow, what a great idea!

It doesn't look as nice as the turning heads with bones method but it doesn't look terrible and is a whole lot easier too!

Love it.