Illustrator question

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dmtstudios

Illustrator question

Post by dmtstudios »

I've got Anime pro 5 and i got a lot of characters in draw in illustrator cs2. I knew that you can import illustrator but if i do that if can see any thing. Can somebody help me.
ps. Do you know some good toturail for anime studio pro 5
chucky

Ohoh , watch out.

Post by chucky »

It will have to be an EPS not an AI if I remember correctly.
Also you will find the curves don't come out the same and various other annoyances.
Yo are better off importing the image as a rasterized image and tracing it.
I like anime for drawing more than illustrator but it takes a deep breath when you first realise the differences.
mkelley

Post by mkelley »

Actually, you can import AI files just fine, but they have to be version 8 or below (so in AI CS2 just save them out as the lower AI version).

The curves and colors will come out the same as long as you use the right palette, but what *does* happen is all shapes have exactly twice the number of points. If this doesn't bother you (shouldn't) you'll be all right.

However, the previous poster is correct -- in the long run you're much better off learning how to draw in AS. Trust me, as someone who used AI since version 1 (many many years ago) I have now come to truly appreciate the tools to draw in AS. Give it a week and you'll be happily surprised.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I even use AS for print work now even though I could use AI. I've done 3 posters for my brother's theater group using AS for the illustration work. I tried to use Illustrator for the last one, but it was just so much faster using AS to draw with. I've become more comfortable with it now than AI.

I also used AI for many years... and now I have been spoiled by AS. ;) It does take a while to get familiar with it.

-vern
chucky

anchor pointer

Post by chucky »

Oh yeah there's also this old page,
viewtopic.php?t=4751&highlight=joining+lines
some good tips there about control points and exporting from illustrator, in particular the add anchor points tip. :D