Bones & swithces...the untold story.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

oddguy

Bones & swithces...the untold story.

Post by oddguy »

Yes...I'm new to this program. Definitely like what I see thus far, however I've run into a slight snag.

Okay, so I spent a great deal of time rigging my first character. I took most of the tutorials and had fun with a little trial and error. Good way to learn for me. Put different mouths, eyes, eyebrows, and different hand gestures all on switches. Then I set up the skeleton...and now this first character I have works exactly how I want. It moves great and I have a pretty wide range of emotions I can tap into anytime with the switches.

The problem I'm having now is that I'm creating a new character, and I'm using some of the parts from the old one. This new one has a different face, but things like eyes, mouth, and hands aren't changing. The eyes and mouth seem to be working fine. For some unknown reason to me the hand sets aren't cooperating when I'm setting up the skeleton. They're not moving properly with the bone at all. Like I said, I have different gestures on a switch...fist, thumbs up, middle finger...etc. I spent a good deal of time making all these, and I don't understand why it works with one character and not with another. I've tried everything I can think of to try and make this new character work the way the old one does, but to no avail. I really don't want to have to redraw everything every time I'm making a new character.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-oddguy
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Without seeing your setup, I'm only guessing, but I would assume that your hand switch layer is not layer bound to your hand bone.
oddguy

Post by oddguy »

Hey, a guess is better than nothing...I appreciate it.

Anyway...looks like you were right. I thought I had done this earlier...but apparently I didn't make use of the alt button when I was doing it. Yeah...
You'll have to forgive me, I'm in the process of making my first toon. That in combination with the fact I've been up all night creating characters and backgrounds.

Thanks!

-oddguy