Layer visibility

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Nimphaea

Layer visibility

Post by Nimphaea »

Hello everybody!

I have another question.

I need to make a layer invisible and visible again. In the timeline there is a layer visibility layer, but no matter what I try, I can't make the layer invisible and visible again. What am I doing wrong...?

I hope somebody can help.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Layers are always visible by default unless you create them in frames >0. Then they will be invisible until that frame. There are a few ways you can do the visibility. The check box in the layers setting (just select the frame and change this check), setting the opacity to zero, or just click on the visible channel in the timeline. This last will automatically create a keyframe with the opposite value of the last setting. The red shaded area of the timeline indicates an invisible section. :wink:
Nimphaea

Post by Nimphaea »

synthsin75, how can I thank you :D ?

Again, you solved my problem. Amazing! Your explanation was very clear.

Thank you!!
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

:lol: I'm on a roll!
kevinhalg

Post by kevinhalg »

synthsin75 wrote: just click on the visible channel in the timeline. This last will automatically create a keyframe with the opposite value of the last setting. The red shaded area of the timeline indicates an invisible section. :wink:
Is there a trick for this when you have a layer in a group? I cant seem to get it to work when grouped. I want to affect just one layer in the group. Works fine when the layer is not grouped but once I put it in the group folder/layer it no longer works.

I asked this in another post but you have most of the answer here so I thought I would add on to this post. Sorry for the double post and thanks for the help!

Kevin
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

are you sure you have a group layer and not a switch layer? if its a switch then when the layer is selected it will always be visible... i dont know of any reason why a grouped layer wouldnt show/hide as normal...
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

The only reason, other than the switch layer Funk mentions, this might happen is either the group layers visibility is off or you still have the layer in question selected (layers are always visible while selected).
kevinhalg

Post by kevinhalg »

I had it in a group not a switch but Heyvern suggested to try out a switch to carry out this animation which may be easier in the long run. I am going to try that out today at some point and see what happens. I am hoping that I can nest the new switch layer in the eye group so that I can keep them all together for scaling and movement.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kevin