Problem with layer resizing

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kevinhalg

Problem with layer resizing

Post by kevinhalg »

Hey all, I have a test head for a character that I am working on and the glasses change size when I move the off the 0 in the timeline. I know this sounds confusing so here is the file. http://halgrimsonphotography.com/testchar.rar

Could you guys please take a look and see if you can figure out what I messed up?

Thanks

Kevin
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

That was a bit of a head scratcher. The culprit is that layer rotation you have on the 'glasses' layer. To fix it, without having to undo that layer rotation, all you have to do is select the 'glasses' layer and select Bone>Release Points from the menu.

This is what is happening. Even without bones, the bone layer exerts some overall influence on the sub-layers. With the points of the glasses under this influence, they get 'collapsed' to the 2D plane of the bone layer.

:wink:
kevinhalg

Post by kevinhalg »

Thank you!! I never would have figured that one out. Not sure how it got messed up in the first place. Glad you're around to help us new guys out.

Thanks again.

Kevin
kevinhalg

Post by kevinhalg »

hmmm. One more thing relating to this issue. After releasing the points, now if I move the head layer the glasses layer starts to distort. Do I need to reassign the points to the head bone?

Thanks again.

Kevin
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, binding points would once again 'collapse' them to the bone layer's 2D plane. The only solution would be to layer bind the 'glasses' layer to the head bone (like I assume you did with the switch and sub-bone layers).

I noticed that the some of the eye layers also have this odd layer rotation. This might continue to give you trouble down the road. If you translate the head bone layer much, you'll see that these rotated layer produce an odd perspective that doesn't match the rest of it.

If this is something you plan on working with a lot, I'd seriously consider undoing those rotations (reset button on that tool) and reworking the points to get the same look.

:wink:
kevinhalg

Post by kevinhalg »

Thanks again for the reply. I was afraid that you might say that. I am assuming that what happened is that when I copied the layers (glasses and eyes) from the front view, and pasted them into this side view it retained the original bindings. I was hoping to make it easier than redrawing them all. Maybe I should have just spent the time and done that.

Thanks again and wish me luck...

Kevin