break an object

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

marcmywords

break an object

Post by marcmywords »

ive got a rectangle i want to break in half in my animation. i drew my line acrossed it but i can just move the bottom section it takes the upper with it.
how can i seperate the two sides
what the..?¿
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Moho has not tool to "slice" an object in half (although now that you mention it, maybe I'll add one).

If you want to cut an object in half, you have to delete the connecting edges (with the Delete Edge tool). This works for more complex shapes, but for a simple rectangle, deleting the two side edges will leave you with two horizontal lines, not two halves of a rectangle.
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

You can try making a rectangle with only three sidelines visible, then copy it, paste it, then rotate it so the side with the invisible sideline meets the other rectangle. Good Mohoing!
stephen

Post by stephen »

Ill tell you what I did when I had a similar thing to do. I wanted to show an egg crack in half and then have the two halfs separate.

First I created a layer with an egg shape in it Call it layer A.
Then I copied it to a new layer, call it layer B. In that layer I drew added a crack across the egg shape. By this I mean I added points to the existing egg shape.

I copied layer B to create layer C, now I have two layers with a crack acrosxs them.

In layer B, I deleted the bottom half of the egg, below the crack, using the delete point tool.

In layer C I deleted the top half of the egg, above the crack.

Now I organized the layer so that layer A is on top of layer B is on top of Layer C.

starting in frame zero LayerA is set to visible and Layer B and C are set to invisible.

(Put layers A,B and C into a group if you need to move the egg around by moving the group layer, this keeps A,B and C in positions in sync)

Now some time in the animation, where I want the crack to appear, I set keyframes to make layer A invisible and Layer B and C visible, Aha a crack appears!

Now animate Layers B and C separately to move them apart, ... the egg opens.

Tada, you have just cracked an egg.

I think you can do the same thing with your rectangle.

Stephen