Broken images when switching computers.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Get Weird

Broken images when switching computers.

Post by Get Weird »

Hello,

We have recently switched over to anime studio from Flash due to the more robust features of anime studio. All in all we are impressed except we have come up against some strange behaviors that are interrupting our work flow. As mentioned before, we are utilizing scanned painted images to create our digital puppet.

The problem we have is that when we switch to various computers the link to the PNG's breaks and we are left looking at a bunch of armatured broken icons. We thought we had a work around by copying over the entire folder of assets and saving the animated file into the same folder. Then when we would work on a different computer we would just put the saved .anme file in the same named folder.

This has resulted in all of the computers somehow being reliant on the usb thumb drive we used to swap over graphics.

So, how do transfer .anme files between computers with out breaking breaking the links? All the computers have the exact same media named exactly the same in the same named folder.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Yes, this seems to happen often, but not to all users. It is a real nuisance in any advanced workflow, and I so hope to see this fixed in an update.

To check this, create a test file and import just one image. Do the same on another machine and import the "same" image there. Now open both files in a text editor and have a look at the file paths. I bet there's a difference somewhere.

An image layer always starts with layer_type 2. The path appears some 30 lines later and starts with ### image layer values.

Depending on what you find, it may help to run files through some search-and-replace script to repair the links.

As an aside, the problem of lost links to imported files exists in a lot of programs, and only very few offer a convenient solution to it. AS at least allows me to look inside the file and spot the problem, which is a great help.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Someone posted one solution to this problem recently -- all images are kept on a Flash drive: when the program is switched to another computer, the images are all in the same (relative) place when the Flash drive is plugged in again.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Imago

Post by Imago »

Check drive letters...
For example, the work and the PNGs are saved on the pen-drive in X:\work... When you use the pen-drive the address become Z:\work?
Sorry for my bad english... Q_Q
Get Weird

Nice Fix

Post by Get Weird »

Nice fix Slowtiger. It totally worked and we are going to create a script to automate that process. Thanks. Now back to proper work. Thanks again.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Glad to help you.

PLease don't forget to backup everything, especially when fiddling directly in the files with a text editor. I recommend to have two folders on each machine, one for work, one for copies of the work files ready to go elsewhere. Or something like that, you know you setup best.