Bitmap images and tracing...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

HAUKSBEE

Bitmap images and tracing...

Post by HAUKSBEE »

I just bought Anime Studio 6. Never used it before. Can I import bitmap images of things I've drawn and trace them within the program? Or, must that be done in Illustrator and brought in as vector already?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You can do both, but I really recommend you to learn the AS drawing tools, they work like a charm when you know hot to use them.
AS vectors are different to Illustrator vectors, so importing an .ai will never have so good as tracing directly on AS.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
HAUKSBEE

Post by HAUKSBEE »

Thanks Selgin. Can you point me to a tutorial on tracing in AS6? I looked all through the .pdf that came with the disc and could find any reference to this.
[I realize this is not the section of the Forum for this question. Pardon my haste.]
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

You are welcome. AmigaMan just posted a very good tutorial about creating a whole character, you will find the file on this link
viewtopic.php?t=16064
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
HAUKSBEE

Post by HAUKSBEE »

Thanks much! I'll soak my head in these over the weekend...and by the by, 'love your walking goose avatar. There a full tutorial in there just watching it move.

Post by 94253 »

HAUKSBEE wrote:your walking goose ... a full tutorial in there just watching it move.
I agree! Great avatar: fun and educational at the same time.

It took me a little while to get the hang of tracing in AS, but I really like it now. The Import | Tracing Image feature is very helpful in my opinion.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

hehe, thank you both. I uploaded the anme file of my avatar on an old post. If you want you can try searching selgin avatar on google :wink:
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

i wanna see that :)
Poptoogi

Kinda off subject, on subject

Post by Poptoogi »

The importing trace image is defiantly the way to as far as tracing in AS. It gets you use to the tools and just makes for really clean image to work with. I did want to just say on a side note that I've come across some great bitmap to vector tracing software that you guys might want to check out. Flash does a so so job of bitmap tracing but the best I've seen is a program called vector magic. I convinced my boss to buy me a license and I use it all the time! Another really great program I used before using vector magic is a program called inkscape. This program is also very impressive and more importantly, it's free! These programs are great for making static objects into vector art but when it comes to making characters that animate and move, creating them directly in AS is still the best way to go...At least that's my opinion anyway!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!