Make a full Body Turn

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Goodfello86

Make a full Body Turn

Post by Goodfello86 »

Hey all. I am still pretty new to Anime Studio. I have Debut 6. I have pretty much mastered the method of making my character's head turn, but what I am having trouble with is making his body turn. For example : my character is looking at something to his left, and then he turns to his right to walk away or to look at something else. If anyone can help me out with this I would be so grateful. Thanks
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

if you've mastered head turns, i dont know what the problem is? imagine its a long head with two pairs of ears - job done. :P
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

There is no tool to create a fully smooth body turn on 2d (ok, maybe with a lot of masking and blend morph you could). You can have three or four separtated views in a switch layer. the magic is animate it to make "feel" like your character is turning.

a great example of this is the Amigaman's flea run. you can check it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEz9Fm9CJJE

Based on my experience, the best thing you can do is make the half of a movement, change the view, and continue with the other half of the movement. For example, if you character turns meanwhile is raising the arms, put the change of view just in the middle of that raising.
The turn will look better meanwhile better "hints" (anticipations and movements which starts on a view and finish on another) you give to the viewer.
Check the Amigaman's example, you don't even notice it's changing of view!
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
pez

Post by pez »

For body turns I create poses of the character at various angles, and morph from one angle to the other.

As a rule of thumb, from experience, it's better to morph 15 degrees at a time. (ex.: from 45 degrees to 60 degrees). So I create poses at 30, 45, 60, etc.

If you morph shapes using a wider angle difference, it becomes difficult to ensure a smooth transition from one pose to the other.
Pez
Goodfello86

Post by Goodfello86 »

Cool. Thanks for the advice guys.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Depending on the complexity of the character I have started using a technique that involves shifting the bones for the arms and legs to "simulate" a turn or 3/4 view.

This works well for simple cartoony type characters. You can shift the bicep or shoulder bones to push the arms forward and back creating a "turn" type view. Same with the legs. You would also need to change layer order as needed to put legs and arms behind or in front of the body.

-vern