Animate imported images

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

WorkingMan

Animate imported images

Post by WorkingMan »

Is it even possible? I want to import an image (like my own drawing) and add vectors and bones to it. I scoured the interweb looking for an answer and have turned up zip.

Thanks
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Have you read the AS documentation and done the tutorials? Image layer animation is covered.

You have two choices:

1. Animate image layers with bones or layer transformations
2. Use the image as a reference to trace and recreate in AS with vectors

If you are using some other drawing application like Adobe Illustrator you could import AI or EPS as vectors in AS.

Animating images uses pretty much the same process as animating vectors. The main difference is that image bone warping is not as precise as using vector layers. You still need to understand bone layers and bone binding for either technique.

-vern
WorkingMan

Post by WorkingMan »

I'll import a .png image, and it won't let me add vectors or bones to the layer.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

WorkingMan wrote:I'll import a .png image, and it won't let me add vectors or bones to the layer.
I think you should take a look on the tutorial before asking here. Sorry, but what you are saying is very basic and well covered on the tutorial.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
WorkingMan

Post by WorkingMan »

I'm not even sure what tutorial I'm supposed to be doing here... I did the 4.1 with the hula girl and that didn't really help me out. It gave me an image that had already been vectored and boned (lol) and all I had to do was bind the bones together. It didn't really help me with figuring out how to vector my own image. I'll import an image and select the layer but it wont allow me to add bones or vectors. I'm looking at the Images section on page 51 of the manual, and I'm not seeing anything. Am I looking at the right thing or what?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

WorkingMan wrote:I'm not even sure what tutorial I'm supposed to be doing here... I did the 4.1 with the hula girl and that didn't really help me out. It gave me an image that had already been vectored and boned (lol) and all I had to do was bind the bones together. It didn't really help me with figuring out how to vector my own image. I'll import an image and select the layer but it wont allow me to add bones or vectors. I'm looking at the Images section on page 51 of the manual, and I'm not seeing anything. Am I looking at the right thing or what?
Check this old Moho introduction. Some info is anachronistic, but most will be fine for you.
http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/manual/i ... gmoho.html
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

WorkingMan wrote:I'm not even sure what tutorial I'm supposed to be doing here... I did the 4.1 with the hula girl and that didn't really help me out. It gave me an image that had already been vectored and boned (lol) and all I had to do was bind the bones together. It didn't really help me with figuring out how to vector my own image. I'll import an image and select the layer but it wont allow me to add bones or vectors. I'm looking at the Images section on page 51 of the manual, and I'm not seeing anything. Am I looking at the right thing or what?
AS is based on "layer types". An image layer can only contain an image. A vector layer can only contain vectors. A bone layer only has bones but is a "group type" layer that can contain other layers like images and vectors inside it. Those layers are controlled by the bones drawn on the bone layer itself. You can't "draw bones and vectors" on an image layer.

This is all covered in the documentation and is the fundemental nature of AS, each layer type contains a specific type of content, image, vector, movie etc. Group layers like bones contain other layers.

-vern
WorkingMan

Post by WorkingMan »

So I drag the image layer onto the bone layer. Got it.
Lepuppy

I can't add bones

Post by Lepuppy »

Why won't it let me add bones to my character, I created it in moho and it is a bone layer, but it won't let me add bones.
My heart is pure as a flushed toilet
locnar33

Post by locnar33 »

are you trying to add bones at any frame other than 0?
Lepuppy

Adding bones

Post by Lepuppy »

Thanks, that was the problem, it was at 1 not zero :lol:
My heart is pure as a flushed toilet