How is a new keyframe added?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

How is a new keyframe added?

Post by Peteroid »

I want to create a keyframe between two frames which would equal the state of things at that point in time when created. For example, if I had a 24 frame animation that had an object travel from a height of 1 to 24, then creating a new keyframe at frame 12 would show the state of things when the object was at height 12.

I also would like to be able to add a keyframe at frame 1 that is the same as frame 0 (in appearance and state). This is for the case when one might as well edit/create the first frame objects while in frame 0 at their first frame starting location.

I would assume if I can do the first thing then I can do the second thing just by creating a new key frame at an 'empty' frame 1 (i.e., isn't already a keyframe).
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

I believe that if you click on desired frame in the timeline then go to your drop down menus, animation,copy current frame you will be given the option to select various layer attributes to be included into the keyframe that will be created by this. I don't suggest the copy entire document option as this will add a lot of unnecessary keyframes.
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

jonbo wrote:I believe that if you click on desired frame in the timeline then go to your drop down menus, animation,copy current frame you will be given the option to select various layer attributes to be included into the keyframe that will be created by this. I don't suggest the copy entire document option as this will add a lot of unnecessary keyframes.
Got it!

The thing to know here, which is very subtle, is that a keyframe can exist on each of the horizontal timelines independently, so you have to click on the frame and then right-click on the proper timeline to get the sub-menu! This is complex, but I understand why it is as it is! :)
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Interesting. I had completely forgotten about that submenu add keyframe option. I usually only use that submenu for adjusting the transitions between keyframes. I guess when you find a way that works for you, sometimes you can get locked into it.I do find it easier to use the drop-down menu option when creating keyframes at the start of the projects for layer attributes that I know I will be using in the animation such as point translate, point scale, layer translate etc.