binding layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Peteroid

binding layers

Post by Peteroid »

I'm having difficulties with binding layers. For one thing, I see no way to confirm a layer has been bound to a particular bone. Or to unbind a layer from a bone. Or what the rules are for binding GROUP layers (do you have to bind all the sub-layers... what if you do.... what if you don't?).

Where is the technical specification for using 'bind layer'? Again, a few examples in the 'user's manual' is not sufficient to understand how to use this.

Has someone written up information on this?
[==Peter==]
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

group/switch/bone layers can be bount to parenting bones with the bind tool - you should notice a colour change on the bound bone (red i think when bound) - if you unbind the colour returns to normal.

You dont need to bind sublayers individually as they will only bind to bones directly above them (switch layers can hold bones don't forget, so sub group layers can bind to a single bone, or shapes (only 1 level down) can bind to any bone as though they were sub to a normal bone layer...

I guess what you need to consider is that if a layer doesnt contain shapes that have bones 1 level above them (their parent holding layer be it bone or switch) it can only be bound to a single bone (layer to bone, rather than points to bone) - but any sub layers of that will be affected by the parent layers attachement to IT'S parent layer, while maintaining their relationships to their own parent bone (i.e. hand layers in a hand bone layer, hand bone layer bound to a wrist bone on a parenting skeleton layer)

does that make any sense at all? :S
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

Thanks for reply!

Yeah... my main problem was I kept doing 'select bone, bind, select layer' and it only works if it is done in the order 'select layer, bind, select bone'.

And only one can be correct since otherwise:

'select bone 1, bind, select layer, bind, select bone 2'

would be ambiguous, since in one case the layer is bound to bone 1, in the other, bone 2.

Of course if one uses the principle of 'last action wins' then there is no ambiguity (bone 2 'wins' since it is bound last).

Anyway, I chose.... poooooorly..... :)
[==Peter==]