Generate a MOV that has transparent background?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Evan Scott

Generate a MOV that has transparent background?

Post by Evan Scott »

I looked around on the animation sites and the consensus seems to be that one can export a video that will have a transparent background when imported into other applications. This requires choosing a rendering format of 16 million colors+. Ok, I got that. However, what I don't get is 1) why I do not have any rendering formats (ASP 7 here, BTW) with an appended '+' and 2) do the things I am reading hold for ASP itself, i.e., can I generate a video with a transparent background where the transparent background will be honored by Anime Studio Pro? I know it may seem obvious to everyone out there but in light of my continuing failure to succeed in the exercise I find it necessary to ask.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

You need to choose the correct codec: PNG with Millions+ colours. That's all.
Evan Scott

Post by Evan Scott »

Ok, I am wiling to believe that. Where do I get the codec(s) since it doesn't appear to come with Anime Studio Pro 7 or with QuickTime 7.6.6 or any of the other multitude of graphics tools I have installed into my XP SP3 rig... or, at least, ASP7 isn't displaying the codec for some reason? JFTR, ASP7 is offering Animation and PNG formats but neither of them have the '+' on the "16 million colors".

Note that I am only assuming the '+' makes the difference and is the reason my exported ASP7 video's background is not transparent when display in another ASP7 animation.
sbtamu

Post by sbtamu »

Are you saying that after you select .png as compression type there is no Million of Colors + under the compressor tab? That's kind of odd, it should be there.
Sorry for bad animation

http://www.youtube.com/user/sbtamu
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If Quicktime is installed correctly, the codec is part of the package.

First you choose QT as file format, then you'll get a window where you choose codec, framerate, quality. If you don't get this, something's wrong with your QT installation.
Evan Scott

Post by Evan Scott »

Ok, since everybody is so convinced that the option(s) are there I went back and looked again and.... darn it! There is now a second option under Animation which is "16 millions colors +". I swear on the Constitution that it wasn't there yesterday afternoon! Between then and now the only thing I did was update my WMP installation to version 11 to see if that would fix a problem I was having with avi and wmv files (it did).

Anyway, I apologize profusely for wasting your time.

BTW, using the + codec does get me a video whose transparent background is honored in another ASP animation so I am a very happy camper.

thanx

evan
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

It wasn't there before because older forum members have to "will it" into your computer! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"and then Man created god!"
Evan Scott

Post by Evan Scott »

I knew that but I was just being polite.
Peteroid

Post by Peteroid »

Evan Scott wrote:I knew that but I was just being polite.
You might not be losing your mind (though I'm not a psychiatrist).

When I first started playing with ASP7 I was going to export an animation, and it only gave me an AVI or Flash option. I thought, that was odd, I know it should export in other formats. Like, say, Quicktime.

So I made a mental note to come here and ask how you 'turn on' exporting to other formats. But before that point, I was exporting an animation... and low and behold there was a Quicktime option! I had done nothing to ASP 7 to enable this.

My only theory is that somehow ASP 7 needs an updated version. When you first install ASP 7 if the version (or higher) isn't on the system, it doesn't allow the option. But then I MIGHT have at some point upgraded QT when asked (meaning while not even thinking about ASP 7 because I was doing something else). I do recall recently doing precisely that, but I can't recall the order of events (which of course is what is critical in my 'theory').

So you aren't alone... :)
[==Peter==]
Evan Scott

Post by Evan Scott »

Now that you mention it, I have the Apple Updater installed and running and the boot I am running ASP7 on is relatively new so it is altogether possible that a midnight update to Quicktime happened whilst I was elsewhen. I like your theory.