Noise fills

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Impact

Noise fills

Post by Impact »

Hey everyone, im trying to make textured ground and because I am doing a cuttaway animation I decided the best way would be to give the fill some noise to rough the edges, but when the camera moves the bumps wiggle and move.

Is their any way to stop this so they will remain the same throughout the movie as the camera moves?

thanks!! :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I suppose you talk about the "noisy fill/outline" option in the layer tab. No, there's no way to make this appear fixed. Every time your shape moves, that noise is calculated again.

But if you're doing CutOuts anyway, why do it with textures and shapes? Use bitmaps instead.

You also could add more points to your outline, thus making it less straight.

Another idea would be to soften the outline. A blur about 2 px makes a big difference.
Axlen

Post by Axlen »

I have to disagree with slowtiger about no way to make the noisy fill/outline appear fixed. Just uncheck the Animated noise option. At least this is an option on AS6P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcjU_E9H ... rofilepage
Bifocals are both wonderful and a PITA.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I know about that. If you uncheck "Animated Noise", it just means that the noise isn't calculated new in all frames where no other movement of the shape happens. In any frame with movement by bones or whatever the noise will change frame by frame.
Axlen

Post by Axlen »

I stand corrected. The camera sure does mess with those outlines. Would you consider this behavior a bug or a feature? Seems like a bug to me.
Bifocals are both wonderful and a PITA.
Impact

Post by Impact »

Thanks for the help, yea it looks like I will just add lots of points to it.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I wouldn't call it a bug - there's very likely no other way to implement it, or not without adding lots of complex code.

If I step back I can see why noisy outlines were added in the first place: to emulate a certain type of animation, sometimes called "boiling" lines. They are meant to move. If you need wobbly outlines for a piece of background furniture, the best way would be to draw it in AS, then render as an image and re-import.

I could imagine some more sophisticated ways to deal with noisy outlines (and brush strokes, since we're at it), but it would require a quite different way to calculate and even some changes in shape management.
crsP

Post by crsP »

If you want the wobbly outlines and want to keep the vectors, just use the 'Noise tool' [keyboard shortcut 'N']. That wont animate [unless you key it].
Impact

Post by Impact »

yea the movement can be very helpful in the right situation. I use it when I animate bubble underwater, they wobble as they go up looking very nice.