Create backgrounds for animations...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SvenFoster

Create backgrounds for animations...

Post by SvenFoster »

I have been torn between.
* drawing props with ASP line/shapes etc.
* paint them externally
* render them in 3d down to 2d and import
* try to create 3d objects in ASP.

to be honest I've done the first 3 with variing success but wondered what the others do.

I know its a loaded question as it depends on the animation style.. but any thoughts?
cheers
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

personal view...

I don't use 3d tools.

I use AS's 3d options in the same way as I'd put depth and perspective into a drawing on any 2d canvas. the difference being, of course, that they can be animated and are subject to camera movement (unless you've clicked the "immune" box..). I do use Z.

I use 2d tools (e.g. Photoshop) for essentially static images in the same way as I'd use a matte or model in a film. Multi-plane images if / as needed. Also for textures that aren't possible or easy do do with AS's Fill tools.

the rest are AS.

for me the issue is how to combine these. Something such as a shadow moving across a field and a single flower swaying might have the field in PS with the shadow and flower in AS ...

... and then there's compositing. So I might have a background done in PS, imported into AS with FG action, plus moving AS camera -- that I export as separate video files (2 or more) that go into a video compositor so that I can use the video effects (e.g. lighting) separately on each video layer knowing that camera movements are securely sync'd.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

3D is very technical and time consuming, drawing takes talent, each can give amazing results.

You could also use AS for creating your BG, just look at the work of some users, like Parker.

They created amazing bg in as.

It is up to you really!
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

Personal view is fine ;)

@hayasidist I think you make a very valid point that you may actually spend more of your time compositing rather than animating depending on the style of your animation. I must confess, that aspect is right at the bottom of my skill set hence looking for anyway to avoid any real hard work ;)

@gcharb your right 3d can be time consuming (I have reasonable skill levels in 3d modelling but lighting and compositing is a real headache for me. As for drawing, well I have my own "style" which I call "rubbish" lol. Ok not quite true as long as you want a landscape or a cartoon cow/pig or hedgehog xD

I really need to spend some more resource on looking at the Camera in AS as other than changing framing and zoom, nothing else gets used.. I did wonder if anyone would construct a building from say 4 image layers aligned in a box(simplistic example) so that you could shoot from different angles by either rotating the building or camera(and actors)

I'll check out Parker and (you guys)'s works.. for inpiration... thanks!!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

building .. you mean something like this?

http://www.mediafire.com/?nbohitzq51waa3h

did it in 10 mins.. so it's really rough, but ... it's a combination of camera movement (track plus pan), the perspective tool, image scale and layer visibility on a group of 4 layers, one for each face of the building all at z=0.

Maybe if I played around with each layer's z I could get away without using scale, but I haven't tried it on this one. If you want the .anme (ASP7) to play with let me know.
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

yep thats pretty much what i was thinking about.. constructing and "pretend 3d" around it.
--Sven
What *if* the Hokey cokey *is* what its all about?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

There is a free AS building in the bonus content pack, it is fully animated and in 3D.

http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=207
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

:oops: never thought of looking there! thanks for the reminder about that site!.
kellz5460

Post by kellz5460 »

Here's what I do-

I'm lazy as f*ck so I just use screenshots from video games...

yeah...

saves a TON of time....

if i didnt do that I'd still be on episode one of my first cartoon series...
OMG make it stop!
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

GCharb wrote:There is a free AS building in the bonus content pack, it is fully animated and in 3D.

http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=207
I didnt think to look there either... thanks!
--Sven
SvenFoster

Post by SvenFoster »

pah... your honesty is refreshing ;)
kellz5460 wrote:Here's what I do-

I'm lazy as f*ck so I just use screenshots from video games...

yeah...

saves a TON of time....

if i didnt do that I'd still be on episode one of my first cartoon series...
--Sven