Masking with 3D objects?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Joelsquare

Masking with 3D objects?

Post by Joelsquare »

Hi all,

I'm admittedly a noob at this so apologies in advance...

Can one create a mask using an extruded 3D object? I have finally grasped masking and seem to be able to do it with 2D layers, but I'm struggling to make it happen with a 3D layer.

More specifically, I've created what is basically a tank style wheel system by extruding a rounded trapezoid, and turning the layer 90 degrees. My concept for creating the tread movement is to have animated second layer that is simply a moving tread texture.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Joel
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I had a quick poke at this. doesn't seem to me as though a layer with 3d enabled works as a mask.

>> any one had any better ideas?

btw Joel - the apparent motion of regular marks on the edge of a rotating cylinder depend on where the observer is wrt the cylinder - so you'll maybe need to animate your tread pattern to make it look right.

(sorry - having trouble posting the image inline. Pic is at:)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddvohdpjndu543e
Joelsquare

Post by Joelsquare »

Hi there,

Thanks for this. After some playing around, I actually found a great solution for this problem using a path layer.

Basically, I created the tread in side view (looks like a square wave) and extruded it in to a 3d shape - essentially creating a 'broken' tread. Then, I simply had that follow the path created by the shape of my wheels.

It's kind of hard to describe, so when I'm on my computer next, I'll upload a photo of what I'm tailking about, it worked really well.

-j