How to Combine 2d and 3d animation?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

netta628

How to Combine 2d and 3d animation?

Post by netta628 »

Hello, everyone i was wondering if their is any tutorials around to teach you how to combine 2d animation with 3d. I kinda have the hang of anime studio now and I will use it for character animation, but do anyone have any techniques or tips on integrating 2d/3d animation? thank you :)
Honoring my Savior Yashayah( christ real name) and my heavenly father Ahayah Asher Ahayah ( Iam that Iam exodus 3:14-16). Tribe of Judah. Spiritual Not Religious. like to draw but learning animation
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Do you mean 3D from an external package, Like Maya or Blender?

If so, you export your character animation to PNGs, which will keep your background transparency.

Then you export your 3D in a format that support alpha, alpha is the transparency information.

Then you use a compositing software like After Effects to put the whole thing together.

This is quite an involved process, but you can get really good results with it, especially if you render your 3D with a 2D shader as you can with Blender or Mental Ray.
netta628

Post by netta628 »

GCharb wrote:Do you mean 3D from an external package, Like Maya or Blender?

If so, you export your character animation to PNGs, which will keep your background transparency.

Then you export your 3D in a format that support alpha, alpha is the transparency information.

Then you use a compositing software like After Effects to put the whole thing together.

This is quite an involved process, but you can get really good results with it, especially if you render your 3D with a 2D shader as you can with Blender or Mental Ray.
Thank you, yes i plan on using blender for the 3d and compositing..probably stupid question how do i save a image without the .anime extension? I am trying to animate my character with just line art and coloring the character in gimp.
Honoring my Savior Yashayah( christ real name) and my heavenly father Ahayah Asher Ahayah ( Iam that Iam exodus 3:14-16). Tribe of Judah. Spiritual Not Religious. like to draw but learning animation
patricia3d

Post by patricia3d »

Create Transparent Background Mov with Blender ( 3D ) and create Background in AS and then import that mov in AS
3deeguy

Post by 3deeguy »

You can combine 2D and 3D easily. I've chosen not to learn blender yet since I've not yet reached the limits of what ASP can do. I have one example of what can be done with 3D with ASP alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdK605xr3BI
Cheers, Larry
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Take a look at King’s Animated Second Hand over at LineBoil...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Problem with ASP made 3d is that you are limited with lathe and extrudes, very basic mapping as well.

Only a full fledged 3D application can bring full 3D, also, I find the shading in ASP inadequate and also very limited.

Best way to do a pro 3D 2D integration is by compositing then in a third party software.

You also get better DOF, motion blur etc, in a compositing software.

It all depends on the job at hand really!