New Actions Don't Show in Action Window

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

GranDan

New Actions Don't Show in Action Window

Post by GranDan »

I have created several new actions and the files show up in the Actions Folder within the Character Wizard folder but do not show up in the Actions Window once ASP 8.0.1 is opened if I use a character from the library rather from the Character Wizard. All actions show up for a character selected from the Character Wizard.

How can I give characters chosen from the Library access to actions stored in the character wizard???
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Can you share the file, so We can have a look?
GranDan

Post by GranDan »

Sorry to be so dense, which file(s) would you like to see?

By the way, I made the characters in the character wizard, then edited them in ASP by adding printing to torso, etc, then saved the character to the Library hidden in the public documents folder. Then I select the character from the Library tab inside ASP. These characters have access to all actions that existed at the time I made the character but do not have access to actions I have made since the character creation.
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

I meant the scene file where the actions don't show in the action window.

Actions can be tricky sometimes, but they usual y work as intended!
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey Dan, there are ways to do what you want, but its pretty complicated. They involve using scripts to copy the animation from the timeline and then turn it into an action. It's probably easier to export a new character from the CW and re-make your changes or take your character from the library and re-make the actions you want. The two scripts I'm thinking of are Heyvern's load/save bone animation and Rudiger's import animation script. Both have limitations and Rudiger's script is only available through Content Paradise. here's the link's to the threads with these scripts:

Heyvern's
viewtopic.php?t=7842&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

Rudiger's
viewtopic.php?t=18841&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=
GranDan

Post by GranDan »

OK, here are two screen clips that show the character and the companion action list window; maybe this will help explain my problem. The only difference between the characters is the lettering on the torso and that I saved the character with the lettering in the Library. I couldn't figure out how to append the letter to the torso and keep the character in the character wizard which apparently would solve my problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rm52xja7r5xn7j2
http://www.mediafire.com/?qu984ht2qabibga
GranDan

Post by GranDan »

Jonbo, thanks for the response. And, you were right! The easiest thing to do was to remake the characters since all I had to do was give the existing character without the artwork a new name and open it in ASP and then open the character with the artwork from the library and then drag the artwork from the old to the new for all five layers, delete the old character and save the new new character to the library. Now it has access to all the actions in the actions folder. Seems like the code crunchers should fix this inconvenience as it makes little intuitive sense...all characters should have access to all actions.

Thanks again.

Dan