2 questions about walk cycle girl with long skirt and bones

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cocoOS

2 questions about walk cycle girl with long skirt and bones

Post by cocoOS »

Hi everybody...I've a doubt..It's possible animate a walk cycle a girl with long dress...I've saw examples girls with dress but when the legs overlap this seem loss the shape...

Other doubt...in my girl draw I've add the bones and this seem works (no the walk cycle of course..but I can animate simples moves)..now I need add a mask for add details to the skirt...I add a group..then add inside this my skirt and several layers (the details are masked with the skirt)...now when I move my bones my skirt moves very weird..it's like when you add bones in a shape without enought points (sorry my english suck and it's difficult explain it)...the problem is the skirt isn't deformed when I move the bones...it moves but it doesn't deformed..can I fix it?...thanks so much!!!
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Hey cocoOS, I really don't understand your first question but the second one I think you don't need to put the skirt into a group because bone layers also have masking options. If you need a better explanation post an example file that I can adjust to show you. Here's a quick one I did in ASP8.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53649091/maskingex4.anme
cocoOS

Post by cocoOS »

[quote="jonbo"]Hey cocoOS, I really don't understand your first question but the second one I think you don't need to put the skirt into a group because bone layers also have masking options. If you need a better explanation post an example file that I can adjust to show you. Here's a quick one I did in ASP8.

hi jonbo..thanks for the response..unafortunally I can't open your file because your AE is most recent than mine..

this is my file...obviously it need more details but I wish do this changes and details inside a mask and inside a group( the dress must be my mask)...is possible use a group inside the bones?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15864219/munecaperfil.anme

the first question is about the walkcycle..if you try do a walk cycle with my file you would see than it doesn't work...try and if you can see a solution for this please let me know

:D :D

thanks !! I really appreciate it... :) :)
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

hi - this is a bone binding more than masking issue.

You have a bone layer (set up for flexible binding) with several vector layers plus a group layer in it. The vector layers directly in the bone layer move as expected. The vector layers in the group layer don't move.

I think there are two generic solutions to this:

a) change the group to be a bone layer and duplicate relevant bones into the group (then you have a choice of giving the dress "independence" from leg movement - you might choose this to give the fabric more "flow" as she walks; or simply to use a layer script to match the bone movements in both layers)

b) put all the vector layers in the top level bone layer and use that as the masking control layer as Jonbo suggested. For vector layers that don't need masking (which looks as though that is all of them except "light"??) you can set the option to "don't mask this layer"

for more info try:

viewtopic.php?t=20046
and
viewtopic.php?t=21099 (the "switch layer" problem is in essence the same as the "group layer" problem")
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

For reasons that aren't clear to me, if you move the "torso" layer out of the "tors" sub-group, it will move correctly. A walk looks like this:

As you can see, the dress shape becomes mangled when the leg bones cross. To fix this, create separate bones for the dress (offset the leg and leg bones), something like this:

You then animate the dress separately from the legs:

This is only one way to solve this. You could also use point binding instead of flexible binding. Hope this helps.
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Excellent Neeters, that's the same thing I came up with, you explained it better than I could. :)
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Ha, I doubt it, but thanks, man. :D

I thought I better start posting before your post count overtakes mine. :wink:
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

neeters_guy wrote:For reasons that aren't clear to me, if you move the "torso" layer out of the "tors" sub-group, it will move correctly. As you can see, the dress shape becomes mangled when the leg bones cross. To fix this, create separate bones for the dress (offset the leg and leg bones)
dress gets mangled because it will overlap itself when the back bottom edge (controlled by the same bone that controls the left leg) crosses the front (controlled by the right leg bone).

So, as you say, dress needs to be animated separately. Either layers in one group and the offset rig that you've chosen (or point binding as you say) or bones in its own group?
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Thanks for clarifying, hayasidist.

cocoOS, this file isn't that refined, but for what it's worth here's the anme file for the second animation: munecaperfil_vestido_caminar.anme
cocoOS

Post by cocoOS »

neeters_guy wrote:Thanks for clarifying, hayasidist.

cocoOS, this file isn't that refined, but for what it's worth here's the anme file for the second animation: munecaperfil_vestido_caminar.anme
thanks so much neeter but I can't open the file :( :( seems than your AE is more recent than mine :cry: :cry: :cry:
jonbo

Post by jonbo »

Just curious cocoOS , what version are you using? It looks like ASP8, if so why haven't you installed the update to 8.1?
cocoOS

Post by cocoOS »

jonbo wrote:Just curious cocoOS , what version are you using? It looks like ASP8, if so why haven't you installed the update to 8.1?
I had problems with the 8.1 version..actually I think than the problem is Visual Studio..when when I use the VS the AE crash and appear a message for debug using visual studio all the time...when I uninstall VS the anime studio doesn't crash...but I'm using the VS now too :( I must uninstall VS now and reinstall it later :cry: :cry: :cry: ...It's a weird problem but I didn't found other solution...
cocoOS

Post by cocoOS »

jonbo wrote:Just curious cocoOS , what version are you using? It looks like ASP8, if so why haven't you installed the update to 8.1?
I had problems with the 8.1 version..actually I think than the problem is Visual Studio..when when I use the VS the AE crash and appear a message for debug using visual studio all the time...when I uninstall VS the anime studio doesn't crash...but I'm using the VS now too :( I must uninstall VS now and reinstall it later :cry: :cry: :cry: ...It's a weird problem but I didn't found other solution...
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

cocoOS, try this: munecaperfil_3_v80.anme
cocoOS

Post by cocoOS »

neeters_guy wrote:cocoOS, try this: munecaperfil_3_v80.anme
thanks so much neeter, you was a big help, something great about AE is its friendly community..thanks!! :D :D