How to change the Line Thickness

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

patricia3d

How to change the Line Thickness

Post by patricia3d »

How to change the line thickness of all shapes in a layer.
I can select one shape and change the line thickness, but when there are
lots of shapes, then its very tidious to select each one.

Any Script? or any shortcut
DK

Post by DK »

One way is to select the shapes all with the select points tool then use the line width tool to adjust the line thickness.

Cheers
D.K
velu

Re: How to change the Line Thickness

Post by velu »

I want to change the line width properties in style window instead of using line width tool.

I have set the width value in all line edges as '0'. Hence i need to change only which is not set the width value '0'.

Please help me if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.
I love Moho
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

I had the same problem. Changing of line thickness in Anime Studio is not intuitutive and very confusing. Warning: Never change the line thickness or the line color with the filling tool! It seems to work, but every time you click on the line a new shape is created! In my older projects I found tons of overlaying lines (I did not know that for many years). Until today the difference between lines and shapes in AS is not clear for me.... For example: If you fill a shape with the filling tool, the colors and the outline width is replaced only (as I expect). Is a line a shape? At least I can select a line with the shape selecting tool...
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the difference between paths and shapes:

when you draw something using freehand or add point or draw shape you'll see options such as "auto stroke" / "auto fill". If you turn these off (uncheck) this will help you visualise what's happening.

draw anything - you'll see a PATH created: some control points connected by vectors.

Try this: (with the auto fill / stroke options off) draw a closed shape such as a rectangle ... now use the add point tool to add a point in the middle of each of two (opposite) sides and join these. Add one point in the middle of that line. You now have 7 points which make up one big rectangle; and two smaller rectangles.

Now we'll use some of those points to create a SHAPE: select all the points except the one in the middle; activate the "create shape" tool, set the options to "both" fill and stroke; click on "create shape". Now select the only the three points that you added to the rectangle and again "create shape". You now have two SHAPES. Even though you had "fill and stroke" on both, only the CLOSED PATH (i.e. the path that forms a closed loop) can get filled.

>>>> Auto fill / auto stroke does the select points / create shape for you. <<<< But it can't do anything more than just select the points you've just drawn.

To take this one step further: now draw another rectangle (with the auto fill / stroke options off). Select the 4 points in this along with the 5 points making up one of the smaller rectangles. Now invoke the create shape tool, set the options to fill only; click on "create shape".

You now have another SHAPE made up from 2 PATHS that are not physically connected.

In short:

PATH: a set of points
SHAPE: a collection of points that can have "Stroke" and, if they form a CLOSED PATH, "fill".

One POINT can be in as many SHAPES as you want.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

Why I can select a path with the shape selecting tool?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

You can select points or a path with the "create shape" tool (kidney shaped icon -- the tool with standard shortcut Q) - that speeds up workflow (and you can swap back and forth between point selection / create shape without losing the point selection).

You can't, as such, select points or a path with the "select shape" tool... but having selected a shape using "select shape" (kidney shaped icon with a pointer arrow -- the tool with standard shortcut Q), you can then use "point" tools on the points in that shape.
arglborps

Post by arglborps »

Use this script:
http://mohoscripts.com/script/sz_adjust_line_width

This even works if you select a folder/bone layer/switch layer or a whole character rig. If you apply the line width change to that it'll adjust line widths for all layers contained within.

I often use this when I have a rig that has been extremely resized for perspective/distance in a particular scene and the lines get way too thick or too thin through scale compensation. With this I can make some quick adjustments to make it look more natural in line width compared to the background artwork or other characters.
Kilian Muster
Designer (day job), Animator/Creator (in the after hours)
PiXELBLAST Phungus & Mowld Production BlogYouTube Channel

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I use a custom Style for the character's outlines. There are times when I need to use different outline thicknesses for an entire character because they may be extremely close or far away from the camera, and using a global Outline style makes this easy.

To do this, make a Style called Outline with the line thickness you want to be able to adjust, and set it your 'default' thickness that you intend to use most of the time. Here's the important part: disable Fill (uncheck it). This allows you to use the same Outline style in combination with other Styles (regular or custom) in the character. (This is why you have two Style lists at the the bottom of the Style window.) Note that this also allows you to use the same Outline styles for multiple characters in the same project.

Now, when you need to increase or decrease the line thickness globally, simply select the Outline custom style from Styles and change line width. Everything using Outline will instantly get the new thickness.

If multiple characters in a project share the same Outline style but you only want to adjust the Outline for 1 character, you need to use import for only that character and enable Unlink Shared Styles. This will change the Style ID for Outline in the imported character, allowing you to make the adjustment separately from the other characters in the same Project. (Basically, you will now have two version of Outline in the same project that you can edit.)

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another interesting option is to enable or disable Scale Compensation. Enable this when you want a character's lines to get thicker as you scale its master group up and thinner when you scale it down. Disable it when you want the lines to remain a constant thickness regardless of scaling.

When you use it (or don't use it) depends on the circumstances or personal taste. It's just one more tool you have in Moho at your disposal.

Edit: (Oops...I just saw arglborps already mentioned this option.) :)