how do I set the defaults (for new shapes) so it has no line

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Squeakydave

how do I set the defaults (for new shapes) so it has no line

Post by Squeakydave »

The title says it all. I have a project where I have to trace an illustration with thick and thin shapes so I only want the fill and not line when I create these shapes. I can not seem to turn off the stroke setting in the style tab or set it to zero. I have a lot of tracing to do and having to turn off the stroke after every shape is completed is getting pretty annoying.

Anyone have any ideas?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: how do I set the defaults (for new shapes) so it has no

Post by Víctor Paredes »

There is a tool script which allows you to select no strokes, but I don't remember exactly the name of it.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
KenW

Post by KenW »

I know that in AS Pro 8 that you can change the preference for Default stroke to zero. This will allow you to make shapes with no visible stroke. When you need the stroke again just change the preference back to something suitable. 8)
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Thanks Selgin I'll try to find that. If any one knows the name of that script please let me know.

Ken. Nope I can't do that in AS pro 8 or 9. If I type in 0 for the line width it changes to .25 :(
KenW

Post by KenW »

Dave I think you misunderstood me. You can actually go to preferences under the edit menu, then go to edit colors. on the bottom there is a box where you can change the default stroke width. I have my default set to zero there . The program still allows you to increase the width later from within the shape/ width panel in AS 8 Pro. Sorry for any confusion. 8)
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Ahhhhh.
It took a restart to make it stick but that is exactly what I was looking for.
Many thanks Ken.
KenW

Post by KenW »

Glad it worked for you! 8)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I just tried this and its an unreliable hack... if you DO want line width after the fact it will not show unless you manually change the number in the styles palette, and upon first doing so the line width goes mental - after which, again, you can't set it to less than 0.25... I really don't reccomend this method.

the paint bucket lets you select 'fill onlyl' so you could try having all auto fills off and just use the paint bucket? although we've all had issues with the paint bucket in the past, i tend to prefer the manual fill method - and again this can be set to fill only obviously. I'm sure someone could put the fill/outline only checkboxes in the standard point tool? or try to track down the script earlier mentioned :)
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

Shame. It will do for my current project as I am not drawing any lines. I must remember to change it back in the future though.

If only the line checkbox could be turned off for the default shape in the styles pallet. That would be how one would expect it to work.