Hat bone... translate constraint to hand bone?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

heyvern

Hat bone... translate constraint to hand bone?

Post by heyvern »

I have a hat... that is part of the face layer.

The points of the hat are assigned to a hat bone.

I would like to key the hat bone to the hand bone so that when the hand goes up to the hat... and comes back down the hat goes with it.

I tried the translate constraint thingy but... the hand bone doesn't really "translate" since it is moving as part of the arm set up. The hand bone really only rotates.

Is there any way to pull this off?

-Vern
Nolan Scott

Post by Nolan Scott »

You might have to create two "Hat-Layers"
One for the Head - One for the Hand
and switch visibility when needed.

Cheers
Nolan
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

...another way of doing it is to have a switch layer for the hand -- one hand with the hat(say, hand 1), one without(hand 0).

As hand 0 starts to pick up the hat, make the original hat invisible, and switch to hand 1. Voila! Hand picks up hat.

J
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Okie dokie.

I was going to do the "two hats" trick, just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

I have only been using Moho about a week.

I suppose that could be a feature request... translation constraint follows the "virtual" translation as well as the "actual" translation of a bone.

-Vern
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Hmm...

Here's what I ended up with...

I had to use 2 "hat" layers with two identical hat bones and one extra "face" layer without the hat.

1. Face/hat layer... hat has two shapes... like in the "fish hook" technique sample... to fit over head/hair, in front and back.

2. Hat in hand layer... invisible till hand reaches the hat. The bone for this is parented to the hand.

2. Face without hat layer. As the hand starts to bring down hat, need to hide the original face/hat layer... and show just this face hair layer.

This is so cumbersome, that I plan to go with just key framing ONE hat bone that moves the hat on the ONE hat face layer to match the hand/arm rotation.

I am trying to imagine the usefulness of the bone translation constraint. If you use bones to rig a body, a translate constraint can never be used since none of the bones translate...

It seems to me that a "translate/rotate" constraint combo is desperately needed. This is the one two combo that could be used quite a bit... a hand picking up an object and putting it down... with these two constraints this would be very simple... without it you need to create extra copies of layers and key frame visibility...

I am a very new user... I need to play with this some more... an idea popped into my head I need to check out... instead of rotating the arm to the hand... lock the bicep bone and TRANSLATE the hand bone...

...hmm

Vern
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

wow, how the hell did I stumble on to Vern's oldest posts :P
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

lol - it's so strange to see posts from vern where he's actually asking something :D
meltedtoons

Post by meltedtoons »

lol - it's so strange to see posts from vern where he's actually asking something
lol
F.M.

Post by F.M. »

I thought Vern had gone senile, until I saw the date of that post!
"and then Man created god!"