Import multiple layers from Illustrator?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Poptoogi

Import multiple layers from Illustrator?

Post by Poptoogi »

I know you can import illustrator files into AS and you can import multiple layers from photoshop but I can't seem to do the same with Illustrator......which is strange being that illustrator is the vector based program.....weird........lol! Anyone know if this is possible? As with a lot of things I sometimes miss the obvious!
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!
slowtiger

Re: Import multiple layers from Illustrator?

Post by slowtiger »

Layers in AI are never exported as separate entities. Your only choice is to swtuch layer visibility on and off and save each state as a separate file.

However, I just found that Illustrator can be scripted, like in http://vector.tutsplus.com/articles/web ... r-scripts/. You may be lucky that someone already wrote a solution, or you can do it yourself.
Squeakydave

Re: Import multiple layers from Illustrator?

Post by Squeakydave »

My current project features a lot of illustrator files exported from Xara designer pro. As far as I can see there is no way at all of importing multi layered illustrator files. It is a pain having to split out the individual layers especially if you need to get them to register in the final project.

AS pro can import multiple Ai files at once and here is a simple tip to get them registered.
In an extra layer of your project create an outline of a box that includes all your elements. Export this with each layer and import multiple files. They should all import registered.
Not much but it might help a little. :)