Can't find the tutorial: How to make text follow path

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rogermate

Can't find the tutorial: How to make text follow path

Post by rogermate »

Regular follow path is easy, I'm trying to have text follow a path so each letter follows the path, not like an entire word or sentence.

Can't find the video tutorial that I watched once before which showed the trick to get text to follow a path, one letter at a time.

Or if someone knows the step - it was easy if i remember right, please refresh my old brain...
hayasidist

Re: Can't find the tutorial: How to make text follow path

Post by hayasidist »

select the layer you want to follow the path, then when you choose the follow path tool hold ALT when you click the path to follow.
rogermate

Post by rogermate »

Doh! That's too easy :oops:

Thanks
hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

hayasidist wrote:select the layer you want to follow the path, then when you choose the follow path tool hold ALT when you click the path to follow.
When I hold the alt key and select the path to follow, nothing happens. it doesn't work.
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

hammerjammer wrote:
hayasidist wrote:select the layer you want to follow the path, then when you choose the follow path tool hold ALT when you click the path to follow.
When I hold the alt key and select the path to follow, nothing happens. it doesn't work.
Be sure to create a vector layer instead of a text layer (uncheck "create text layer" in the text window). Right now, text layers can't be bent, but you can bend a vector layer.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
hammerjammer

Post by hammerjammer »

selgin wrote:
hammerjammer wrote:
Be sure to create a vector layer instead of a text layer (uncheck "create text layer" in the text window). Right now, text layers can't be bent, but you can bend a vector layer.
Thank you. That was making me crazy. I found that when you create a text layer in the "Layer toolbar" on the right of the screen, your not given the choice to uncheck "create text layer". that little box is not there. BUT, if you click the "T" in the Tools toolbar on left, then you are given the choice to check or to uncheck "create text layer". This was and is very confusing to me. I thought they would the same thing, but they are slightly different than each other.
Thanks for your help Selgin

Hammerjammer
Check out All of my animations on my YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/HammerAnimation/videos

Thanks for watching!
Hammerjammer
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah -- I think the OP dates back to the AS8 days when there wasn't a "text" layer type - just vectors... a lot of info in "older" posts has been overtaken by developments in AS... wondering if it might be time (or maybe starting with the arrival of AS10) to have version specific "how do I" etc...???
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

What if you want one letter to show up then the next and so on.. Like on a ticker tape.
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Got the whole thing following but have some nasty black lines. Any ideas?
View My Video
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com