Using Flash Characters in Anime Studio

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

highrise955

Using Flash Characters in Anime Studio

Post by highrise955 »

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to these forums and relatively new to Anime Studio Pro 9. I've learned a lot already but of course, still have a million and one questions. I saw another post in this forum that you can't convert Flash characters into Anime Studio. However, I wasn't sure if they meant the bones/rigging won't convert or the actual character images.

What I want to know is can I purchase Flash characters from Cartoon Solutions http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/store/c ... c-279.html and convert those images that I can bring into Anime Studio and set up my own bones?

If the answer is 'Yes', does anyone know of an graphic conversion app that will convert the flash format into the formats Anime Studio can use?

If the answer is 'No', does anyone know of more pre-made Anime Studio characters I can get besides those found on ContentParadise?

Thanks for any assistance.
jahnocli

Re: Using Flash Characters in Anime Studio

Post by jahnocli »

highrise955 wrote:"What I want to know is can I purchase Flash characters from Cartoon Solutions...and convert those images that I can bring into Anime Studio and set up my own bones?"
Yes. These characters are composed of lots of different components - heads, mouths, arms etc. You can export these components to AS as Illustrator files, and then rig them as normal. HOWEVER, you will find that these vector files contain many more nodes/points etc. than you need. If you don't get rid of these points they will slow down your animation. But getting rid of them is a pain.

I have done this in the past, and the easiest path for me was to import these characters into Xara, and then export them into AS. That seemed to cut down the node count a bit, somehow.

And no, Flash bones will not import into AS. Different systems.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
highrise955

Post by highrise955 »

jahnocli wrote:
highrise955 wrote:"What I want to know is can I purchase Flash characters from Cartoon Solutions...and convert those images that I can bring into Anime Studio and set up my own bones?"
Yes. These characters are composed of lots of different components - heads, mouths, arms etc. You can export these components to AS as Illustrator files, and then rig them as normal. HOWEVER, you will find that these vector files contain many more nodes/points etc. than you need. If you don't get rid of these points they will slow down your animation. But getting rid of them is a pain.

I have done this in the past, and the easiest path for me was to import these characters into Xara, and then export them into AS. That seemed to cut down the node count a bit, somehow.

And no, Flash bones will not import into AS. Different systems.

Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with Xara so I looked it up. Which specific Xara app are you referring to? And can I do the same thing using Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop Elements?
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

highrise955 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with Xara so I looked it up. Which specific Xara app are you referring to? And can I do the same thing using Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop Elements?
Sorry -- Xara Xtreme is the one I've got. And, although I don't use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements, I think both of these apps are for manipulating raster images, not vectors; if so, you won't be able to use either of them.
highrise955

Post by highrise955 »

jahnocli wrote:
highrise955 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with Xara so I looked it up. Which specific Xara app are you referring to? And can I do the same thing using Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop Elements?
Sorry -- Xara Xtreme is the one I've got. And, although I don't use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements, I think both of these apps are for manipulating raster images, not vectors; if so, you won't be able to use either of them.

Thanks again! I'll give it a shot and see how it works out.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

Go for it! Good luck -- and we'd love tosee any results...
maxie-online

Post by maxie-online »

Hm, Highrise, but why do you want to buy the Flash characters? Cartoonsolutions.com offers the same chars also for AnimeStudio, rigged and ready for use in AS.
http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/store/c ... c-290.html
highrise955

Post by highrise955 »

maxie-online wrote:Hm, Highrise, but why do you want to buy the Flash characters? Cartoonsolutions.com offers the same chars also for AnimeStudio, rigged and ready for use in AS.
http://www.cartoonsolutions.com/store/c ... c-290.html
Not nearly as many. Plus there are a lot more props available for flash and PS than for AS.
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

The thing I don't like about the Cartoon Solutions characters is that their 3/4 view is a hybrid between a eral 3/4 view, and a front view. In the 3/4 view, one foot points sideways while the other foot always faces forwards. Making a 3/4 walk cycle is difficult, you have to go for the side view, and I'm not a fan of the full side view. A full 3/4 view would be of the most use, and yet they don't really have one.