Masking is powerful feature and it is also tricky

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

aji

Post by aji »

It will enhance our workflow such as effects,character design and animation.
Masking in Anime studio is a powerful feature. There are detailed tutorials available. I can do some masking works. But still confused with the options
such as

Mask this layer

Don’t mask this layer

+ Add to mask

+ Add to mask, but keep invisible
etc...

I know there are many threads in this forum. Still i cant digest the idea of masking gully.

I think they are confused due to the misfit terms used here
If any one can create a .anme file with this options used ,we can learn it better by going through that .anme file
could you share your ideas about how can learn masking fullest way..
i think i could convey my doubts
Thanks for your earlier supports
aji
heyvern

Re: Masking is powerful feature and it is also tricky

Post by heyvern »

I have to disagree to some degree on why masking is hard to understand in Anime Studio. The masking functions of Anime Studio is actually the same as most other applications with masking. To understand it you need to understand the same concepts of alpha channels used in programs like Photoshop or other similar applications.

The real confusion with Anime Studio and masking is that it doesn't always display correctly in preview. This makes it difficult to see the results easily and can lead to confusion.

Think of a mask as "black and white". This is a traditional alpha channel concept.

Black is hidden, white is visible.

This is not exactly how it is displayed in Anime Studio, but in most graphic applications like photoshop, that is how alpha masking works and I've been so familiar with it that is how I imagine it working in Anime Studio which helps me understand it.

The reason for using black and white or grayscale for masking, is based on a concept as old as desktop graphics. It's been around since the beginning. The value of grayscale pixel in an alpha channel are subtracted from the visible pixels. This means the darker a pixel is the more transparent the masked elements or layers will be. Many applications offer options to "reverse" the mask or change it's behavior, but the concept is always the same. Alpha channel grayscale values are added or subtracted from the visible pixels to create transparency.

An easier way to imagine this is that "white" is like "holes" in a black mask that reveals layers through it.

Hide All
The mask is "black". Everything is hidden

Reveal All
The mask is "white". Everything is visible

Following that same concept of alpha channel type masking with "black" and "white" the masking options can be seen this way:

Add to mask
The shapes in that layer are "white". Adding to an alpha channel adds "white". So imagine that "Add to mask" is creating white shapes in the mask to make things visible.

Add to mask but keep invisible
Same as above but any shapes in the layer are not rendered or displayed.

Subtract From Mask
Reverse of above. Subtracting adds "black" to the existing mask. Layers with this setting are always invisible or hidden, meaning they won't render or display.

Clear the mask then add this layer to it
This will "reset" the mask to "black" basically "Hide All". No matter what you choose for the group layers masking, Reveal All or Hide All, this setting for a layer will reset the mask to "black" at that point in the layer order and then add the layer as "white" to show things within the shapes. Clear and add will change the how the mask works and can cause "confusion" if you don't understand masking concepts.

All of this is based on layer order. A mask will have a different effect based on where it is in the layer order. Higher layers in the order will override or "add to" lower layers.

The beauty of this system is that you can create complex masking using sub groups with different masking. Each sub group result can be added or subtracted from the parent group masking. However, this is where Anime Studio's masking preview "breaks". Those types of complex masking sometimes won't display correctly in preview.

I know this seems confusing, but if you try to train your brain to think of masking as "black and white" only, white is visible, black is hidden, and that "Adding" makes "white" and "Subtracting" makes "Black" it starts to make more sense and is easier to understand.

My understanding of masking is based on my early years as an airbrush artist. Making and using masks to paint shapes with an airbrush is identical to digital alpha channel masking.
aji

Post by aji »

Thanks heyvern
such detailed reply
thanks again
aji
Karhu

Post by Karhu »

Thank you Heyvern!
I am still having a hard time with masking, your post made few things much more clear now.

-Karhu