Nested bone layers *with* bones?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Fuzatron

Nested bone layers *with* bones?

Post by Fuzatron »

My bone layer controls everything below it just fine. Including bone layers. But once i add a bone to a nested bone layer, it's vector layers lose their connection with the top level bone layer. After watching Victor's webinar on rigging with smart bones, it appeared that there was a way to make this work? Or do i need to keep all my bones in the top level bone layer? I don't mind working with all the bones in the single layer. Just want to use best practices on this project as much as possible.

Thanks for any help/tips for the newbie :D

heyvern

Re: Nested bone layers *with* bones?

Post by heyvern »

A bone layer with bones inside another bone layer "blocks" nested bones.

I can't say exactly what was in that webinar but most likely it could have been that the sub bone layer was bound to a bone in the parent, or as you said, all the control bones are in the top bone layer and the sub bone layer has no bones and is just used like a group layer.

The reason for this is that there would be a conflict with nested bones going down inside another bone layer. There would be no way to tell which bone is suppose to control the points, so the nested bones stops at another bone layer with bones.
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

I appreciate the quick answer, heyvern :D

I'll have to try binding the layer to a bone in the parent to see how that works. But knowing it's not bad practice to just use the top bone layer in cases like this saves me a lot of frustration... Unless i misunderstood. Thanks again!
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Yes you can load up all the bones in the top bone layer if you want to no problem.
Another trick is to create smart bones in the TOP bone layer that controls bones in the sub bone layer. This is sort of "best of both worlds" kind of thing. You can have the bones in the sub layer and still control with the top bone layer.

Nested bones is a new feature we all really love. It makes things a lot easier. :)
Fuzatron

Post by Fuzatron »

Thanks for the clarification :D

Will have to look into making use of nested bones. So much to learn!