Animate lightning in AS pro 10

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Equalrights4animals

Animate lightning in AS pro 10

Post by Equalrights4animals »

Since I'm pretty sure lightning takes less than 1/24 of a second to strike, how would I animate it at 24 fps? Also, how would I animate it any way? Is 24 a good FPS or would my animations look better if I used a higher fps? What fps do you folks all use?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Animate lightning in AS pro 10

Post by Víctor Paredes »

As many things in animation, it's important you animate the "feeling" of a lightning, more than you reproducing a real lightning. Remember animation is exaggeration, a caricature of the real phenomenon.
From my experience, even more important than the lightning itself is what it causes to the context, how its light affects it.
In the library there are a couple lightnings I animate for this videocard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0U1J2_2ePA
You can open the anme file here:
/Scenes (parasol icon)/Scenes/Smith Micro Holiday/Halloween/03_vampire_house
Maybe it could be useful for you.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Poptoogi

Re: Animate lightning in AS pro 10

Post by Poptoogi »

Hi = ->'s 2 animals,

I made a tutorial on making a lightening strike awhile ago and thought this might help. As Selgin said though, I'm sure it's more important to get the feeling of lightening more so than anything!

In most cartoons that I can recollect, lightening is almost always animated by flashing between the normal colors and high contrast black and white images. This is not the best example but you can see in this intro to Thundercats at :08 seconds in and when lightening strikes Lion-O's sword at the beginning at :14 seconds in the image of him and the background itself changes flickers and changes colors for a split second. That and the aid of sound helps create the illusion of lightening. Sorry for my long winded response but I hope this helps!

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty! Pause, consider, do! I dare you!